[DONE] MapInfo replacements for multiple iwads in same mod?

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
eharper256

[DONE] MapInfo replacements for multiple iwads in same mod?

Post by eharper256 »

So, this is just a query before I start down a long road into a mire: I was thinking of creating and adding in new intermission backgrounds for Heretic and Hexen to Walpurgis, which would require me to do some re-write's to the MAPINFO lumps.

Obviously, Walp is currently compatible with Doom (+Wadsmoosh), Heretic, and Hexen all at once.

What I need to know is if there any pitfalls in replacing multiple game MAPINFO's, or if that's even possible?

I ~assume~ what I do is copy the format used in the zdoom.pk3, and have a folder called /mapinfo/ with a heretic.txt and hexen.txt which would override the base ones. Is that right?

And in that case, do I need to copy the full contents of the file from zdoom.pk3, or will be my changes be merged?

Thanks!
Last edited by eharper256 on Sun May 22, 2022 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Shadow

Re: MapInfo replacements for multiple iwads in same mod?

Post by Blue Shadow »

I'd imagine you only need to copy the relevant parts (the cluster definitions). Each MAPINFO, then, is put in its own [wiki=Lump_filtering]filter[/wiki]. For example, the filter for Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders and Hexen: Beyond Heretic should be like this:

Code: Select all

filter/heretic/heretic.shadow/mapinfo.txt
filter/hexen/hexen.hexen/mapinfo.txt
eharper256

Re: MapInfo replacements for multiple iwads in same mod?

Post by eharper256 »

Blue Shadow wrote:I'd imagine you only need to copy the relevant parts (the cluster definitions). Each MAPINFO, then, is put in its own [wiki=Lump_filtering]filter[/wiki]. For example, the filter for Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders and Hexen: Beyond Heretic should be like this:

Code: Select all

filter/heretic/heretic.shadow/mapinfo.txt
filter/hexen/hexen.hexen/mapinfo.txt
Okay, so it seems that it appends to my standard mapinfo.txt I have in the root, AND overwrites any iwad resources when in /filter/ from my testing. Interesting to know.

For some reason I had it in my head that the filter directory was only for textures. :shock:

Anyway, thanks for the tip. Here's the result:

Return to “Scripting”