Un-dynamic light? (A Flashlight in Software Mode) [Closed]

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)

Un-dynamic light? (A Flashlight in Software Mode) [Closed]

Postby NeoTerraNova » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:26 am

Greetings, everyone. I have a feeling this is going to open a can of worms, and may result in a "is not possible," but, I want to give this a shot. Again, my thanks to everyone and anyone that stops by to help.

As in the title - is it possible to get a passable working flashlight in Software mode? I know that most all the Flashlight Mods that I've seen, use Hardware mode, but I thought I'd downloaded something about a month or two ago that had working weapon lights in Software mode. I tried looking for it again, but I couldn't locate it - I forgot the name of it, and while I tried searching my files for things, I just can't seem to locate it.

Anyhow..

Why Software Mode? Because, quite simply, I probably won't have a computer for a very long time capable of handling Hardware Mode and "modern flashlight solutions." I gave a few a try, and the frame rate is best measured in minutes instead of seconds. I know there have to be others in my situation, hence, why I'm looking for some kind of a solution, if one exists. I've tried looking at various flashlight mods (Steve's, Flashlight+ and a few others) and they all seem to require Hardware Mode, otherwise, I get fullbright everywhere.

I have zero idea what to do or where to begin. My thanks to anyone that can provide me with a solution, or a definitive explanation of "No, and this is why" so I can file this away for a much later date.
Last edited by NeoTerraNova on Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeoTerraNova

Re: Un-dynamic light? (A Flashlight in Software Mode)

Postby ramon.dexter » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:46 am

It is impossible. Software mode dont allow ANY type of light.
Think about it the other way - if it was possible, it would be already done. If it is not yet done, it is probably impossible.
ramon.dexter
rudebwoy

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Enjay » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:23 am

The only solution that I am aware of is using A_Light. It's not directional and it's nothing like as atmospheric etc etc but it can be used as a sort-of flashlight (indeed, has been right back to the days when the only option was dehacked-style mods).
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby phantombeta » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:35 am

ramon.dexter wrote:It is impossible. Software mode dont allow ANY type of light.
Think about it the other way - if it was possible, it would be already done. If it is not yet done, it is probably impossible.

The software renderer very much has dynamic lighting. Just not spotlights.

phantombeta
Tired of being treated like trash by control freaks

Postby Enjay » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:51 am

In that case, ignore my post too. :D

A flashlight of the type that existed before spotlights became a thing should be doable: usually a rapid stream of invisible actors - often spawned via ACS - with dynamic lights attached. However, if the system is already struggling, a flashlight of this type is probably going to make performance worse.
Enjay

Postby ramon.dexter » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:06 pm

I always thought that dynamic lights dont work in software mode...
ramon.dexter
rudebwoy

Postby Rachael » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:21 pm

They didn't, for a long time. They're a somewhat recent (2017 or later) addition.

They definitely don't exist in any version of classic ZDoom.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit

Postby NeoTerraNova » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:24 pm

if it was possible, it would be already done. If it is not yet done, it is probably impossible.
(ramon.dexter)

Hence why I was asking - I was wondering if there was a solution that had been found back in the old days, that had been discarded once something better came along, that I wans't able to find after digging through the Forum.

usually a rapid stream of invisible actors - often spawned via ACS -
(Enjay)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking - I had an inkling that there was a very, very old way of doing things that worked, but I couldn't remember how it was pulled off. I want to say that I actually saw a Mod that did that, somewhere, but I can't recall where or if I ever messed with it.

Alright, everyone - as I suspected, the answer is "Generally no, and here's why.. BUT.." and the 'BUT' is a massive can of worms. I apologize if I brought down trouble, it wasn't my intention. I will simply have to wait and see if my personal fortunes change and I can get a better system that can handle all of this.

My thanks to you all.
NeoTerraNova

Re: Un-dynamic light? (A Flashlight in Software Mode) [Close

Postby Enjay » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:29 pm

Given that "all" you'd probably need to do is find one of the older flashlight mods, I don't know if it is really a can of worms, let alone a massive one but how well it would work on your system, I can't say.
Enjay

Postby Dan_The_Noob » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:40 pm

I get that this is resolved, but does anybody have a flashlight mod that uses a spotlight instead of the old invisible light spam? seems like it would run better.
Dan_The_Noob

Twitch ID: Dan_The_Noob

Postby Caligari87 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:24 am

Steve's Flashlight and my own DarkDoomZ come to mind. Performance in any flashlight mod is heavily dependent on map geometry complexity though, especially the farther you want the light to shine.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089
Github ID: caligari87

Postby Dan_The_Noob » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:33 am

Caligari87 wrote:Steve's Flashlight and my own DarkDoomZ come to mind. Performance in any flashlight mod is heavily dependent on map geometry complexity though, especially the farther you want the light to shine.

8-)

does your flashlight have the jitter issue that Steve's mentions?
Dan_The_Noob

Twitch ID: Dan_The_Noob

Postby Caligari87 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:15 am

In the time it took to ask and wait for me to respond you could have downloaded and tried it. But I guess that's beside the point.

I use velocity-based "springs" in my angle/pitch updating code to try and make the transition smooth between movements. I don't notice any appreciable jitter. However something to keep in mind is that lighting only updates at 35Hz regardless. If that's what you're talking about then there's nothing that can be done to fix it.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089
Github ID: caligari87

Postby Redneckerz » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:01 pm

Dan_The_Noob wrote:I get that this is resolved, but does anybody have a flashlight mod that uses a spotlight instead of the old invisible light spam? seems like it would run better.

I am actually going to be backwards and ask if anyone has an implementation of the ACS-based version for this. A mod or...

I know, i know, the performance deficit is pretty something (Spawning tons of actors is always a choking matter) but an ACS based light system has the benefit (i suppose) for older ZDoom versions.

Reason is that i have been looking into this for some time now and there is an ACS day/night system, but it its for an other source port.
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Return to Scripting