"DoomImp" what is this?

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

"DoomImp" what is this?

Postby K_Doom » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:46 am

Hi, I recently had trouble adding new monsters and getting them to work, mainly monsters that contained the "infamous" Zscript and I found a way in my opinion to fix the problem, as all these monsters had a file called "old code" rename to DECORATE and assign an unused number in the things menu and then delete Zscript which gives so many problems for beginners (I am aware that this solution may not be the most suitable and "elegant", let's say Zscript exists for a reason)

Note: I also know how to assign the monster class in a "MAPINFO" file and an unused number in the things menu to not replace anything there. But it only worked with 1 monster and I couldn't add more to the same file without generating errors.

So this method has worked so far, but when trying to add variations of our dear Imp, I noticed they had the Decorate file (oh cool, much easier hehe), but they have a not so "easy" quirk: most of them inherit a class called "DoomImp", and this class does the feat of bugging all the other monsters added before.

So I want to raise the question here: what exactly would this DoomImp be and what to do when a Imp has it? :?:
K_Doom

Discord: Neon V Bleikke#8278
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: "DoomImp" what is this?

Postby Gez » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:41 am

It's that little spiky guy we all know and love. Makes sense that imp variants would inherit from it.

Whatever your problem is, inheriting from DoomImp is not the cause.
Gez

Postby MartinHowe » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:12 am

Actually, I have often wondered that since Doom came before Heretic, why are they not class "Imp" and gargoyles class "HereticImp" (or even class "Gargoyle", which would have made more sense :p).
MartinHowe
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:30 am

These names were given at the same time by Randi. So no game got any preferential treatment.
Don't ask why these precise names were chosen - it happened some 20 years ago,
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Gez » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:36 am

ZDoom got Heretic support with v1.23, and the earliest form of DECORATE in v2.0. It's only with 2.3.0 that all actors were transitioned to external DECORATE code.

Note that if you were to go with the internal name of the original source code releases, "imp" would be the Heretic gargoyle, because the Doom imp would be "trooper"...
Gez

Postby Nash » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:45 am

Speaking of the internal actor class names - some of these are just darn hilarious... :mrgreen:
Nash
Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:49 am

1.23 was precisely when the actor names were introduced. Up until 1.22 ZDoom still used the MT_* constants.

Nash wrote:Speaking of the internal actor class names - some of these are just darn hilarious... :mrgreen:

Directly taken from the Hexen source as-is...
Graf Zahl

Return to Scripting