Confusion on the Hudmessage Section of the Zdoom Wiki

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Confusion on the Hudmessage Section of the Zdoom Wiki

Postby Zedonk » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:57 am

Hello. I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to post something like this so sorry if this is the wrong place.

Here is a link the zdoom wiki page in question:
https://zdoom.org/wiki/HudMessage

I've been reading the zdoom wiki and, for a small while, I've been confused about the 'x and y' parameters of the hudmessage function. I've come to realise this is perhaps due to an error on the zdoom wiki page. Under the 'x and y' parameters section you get this:
[0.0, 1.0]: Position between left and right edge valid box locations
[-1.0, 0.0): Position between left and right edge of screen
(1.0, 2.0]: Same as [0.0,1.0], but center each line inside box
[-2.0, 1.0): Same as [-1.0,0.0), but center each line inside box

I think the last line is missing a minus sign. Specifically, instead of "[-2.0, 1.0): Same as [-1.0,0.0), but center each line inside box ", I think it should say "[-2.0, -1.0): Same as [-1.0,0.0), but center each line inside box".
Am I right in thinking that there is a mistake or am I just still confused?

Also, I would talk about this on zdoom wiki page itself but it seems to have blocked me from making an account (I get this error message: .* <autoconfirmed> # Stop everything).
Zedonk

Re: Confusion on the Hudmessage Section of the Zdoom Wiki

Postby Player701 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:04 am

Well, you can easily test if the wiki is wrong by running the relevant code in GZDoom and comparing the results. If they don't match, then the wiki should be fixed (unless it's a GZDoom bug). I too think this is a wiki error, since by the looks of it the ranges it describes there should not overlap.

Zedonk wrote:Also, I would talk about this on zdoom wiki page itself but it seems to have blocked me from making an account (I get this error message: .* <autoconfirmed> # Stop everything).

I'm pretty sure that new registrations have been disabled due to frequent spam-bot invasions, but you could post in this thread and request an account to be created for you.
Player701

Discord: Player701#8214
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Zedonk » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:35 am

Thanks Player701! : ) I probably won't contribute much to the zdoom wiki other than this change I'd like to suggest so it's probably not worth it for them to create an account for me.
Zedonk

Postby Player701 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:29 pm

I can fix the wiki for you, if you can confirm in-game that it really works like you said and not like it says there (just to be sure). But I don't think it'd be much of a hassle for the wiki maintainers to create an account for you anyway, regardless of the amount of your potential contribution.
Player701

Postby Zedonk » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:08 am

The trouble is is that I still don't 100% understand what it says but I do understand it well enough now for me to get the desired result on the map I am working on. (Or at least, I think I have some understanding of it as long as it says what I think it is supposed to say, if that makes sense.)
Zedonk

Postby Player701 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:13 am

OK, so I've had some time to run a few tests of my own, and it seems your assumption was correct, so I've gone ahead and fixed the the wiki article.

Zedonk wrote:The trouble is is that I still don't 100% understand what it says but I do understand it well enough now for me to get the desired result on the map I am working on. (Or at least, I think I have some understanding of it as long as it says what I think it is supposed to say, if that makes sense.)

Well, basically, it lets you choose between the center of the message and the left (x)/top (y) edges of its "box" when positioning it. You can also center the lines inside the box by adding or subtracting 1. Best explained by this screenshot (click to enlarge):

It's the same for y but without text centering, of course.
Player701

Postby Zedonk » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:47 am

Thanks for you help! : )
Zedonk

Return to Scripting