Is it possible to do this?

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Is it possible to do this?

Postby Kafelnikov » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:21 am

Is it possible to have a monster spin around like this while moving at the same time:

https://youtu.be/_EEa5Rubm7E?t=100

I have a section of my map where a monster is supposed to be sucked out into the void of space and slowly disappear on the horizon like in that scene in 2001 Space Odissey. Right now I just put a few patrol points for him to follow but it looks silly because he just walks floating in space to the point where he's supposed to disappear, it doesn't look like he is in the grips of outside forces but that he's voluntarily going for a walk there lol. I experimented with giving him some flags (floatbob, float, friction, etc) but it still doesn't look convincing at all.
Can that motion in the video be recreated somehow or maybe even just some approximation/trick that gives that idea somehow?

By the way, while I'm familiar with ACS obviously, I have yet to touch DECORATE and Zscript so I haven't explored any option embedded within those 2 tools.
Kafelnikov

Re: Is it possible to do this?

Postby Player701 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:26 am

If this is a map event, then ACS is the way to go. Try SetActorAngle (there's some example code in the article).
Player701

Discord: Player701#8214
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Kafelnikov » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:38 pm

Player701 wrote:If this is a map event, then ACS is the way to go. Try SetActorAngle (there's some example code in the article).

Hey thanks, that helped. Although it still looks kinda goofy but at least it gives a decent approximation of actors dealing with 0 gravity rather than just walking suspended in mid air.
I have another question if you don't mind. I have a section of my map taking place in outer space, emulating reality I'd like to have no sound playing in space which I can do with placing silent sector things on the sectors I want silenced but I'd like to hear the sound of breathing in my spacesuit during the spacewalk, is there a way to add one exception and have just one sound play even if the sectors are silenced? some workaround or something?
Kafelnikov

Postby Player701 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:14 am

Kafelnikov wrote:
Player701 wrote:I have a section of my map taking place in outer space, emulating reality I'd like to have no sound playing in space which I can do with placing silent sector things on the sectors I want silenced but I'd like to hear the sound of breathing in my spacesuit during the spacewalk, is there a way to add one exception and have just one sound play even if the sectors are silenced? some workaround or something?

I don't do a lot of ACS, but it seems that LocalAmbientSound should do the trick. AmbientSound will probably work too, if you don't care about multiplayer support. With LocalAmbientSound, you should have each player run a script that would play the sound as long as they are in the designated "outer space" area.
Player701

Discord: Player701#8214
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby rabidrage » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:03 pm

Maybe some application of the following would make it less goofy?

https://zdoom.org/wiki/ThrustThingZ

https://zdoom.org/wiki/ThrustThing
rabidrage

Return to Scripting