PLZ Help me mute them hexen pigeons

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

PLZ Help me mute them hexen pigeons

Postby Flocky » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:25 pm

Hello Forum

This is my first post here and i hope i don't offend any rules , but the situation is a bit desparate : pidgins block my progress in a big big way .

IRL i simply chase them off or shoot them , but in HeXen Beyond Heretic there is NOTHING i can do about them . Some call them owls and they may have been intended as such , but i perceive them as my most hated and disgusted foe on earth

For a while i simply muted them in any video edit before upload , but just now they made me abort my Priest's Shadow Wood entrance , whereas my UV Necromancer fears no one and even managed a 100 % Kills in Hub 4's Dungeons and wasted the second Heri in but a few minutes , but i CANNOT go further - not because of the Reavers but those horrible cooing devil spawns

There HAS to be a way to change the scripts of the offending hubs or even hack the length byte of the sound in the WAD to zero , but i don't have a clue where to begin

Any help in this matter would be VERY welcome and MUCH appreciated indeed , so Thanx in Advance ,
Flocky

And Therapy didn't only NOT work but had an adverse effect :?
Flocky

Re: PLZ Help me mute them hexen pigeons

Postby Gez » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:11 am

I suggest playing Hatoful Boyfriend to relax a bit.

But seriously. Open GZDoom.pk3, with any sort of zip utility if you don't have SLADE (it's actually a zip file), extract the file "sounds/dsempty.lmp", rename it as owl.lmp, and load it when you play Hexen.
Gez

Postby Talon1024 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:29 pm

You can make a WAD with a SNDINFO lump in it which replaces the Ambient6 sound with DSEMPTY, and load it whenever you play Hexen. You can also drop the WAD into the "skins" folder to load the WAD every time you want to play Hexen.

1. Open a WAD editor of your choice
2. Make a new WAD
3. Add a new lump and call it "SNDINFO"
4. Copy and paste this into it:
Code: Select allExpand view
Ambient6 DSEMPTY

5. Save the SNDINFO lump
6. Save the WAD somewhere
7. Load the WAD whenever you want to play Hexen (not needed if you save your WAD into the "skins" folder in the folder you have GZDoom in)
Talon1024

Github ID: Talon1024
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Kali, Mint, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Flocky » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:11 pm

Thank you guys ! Oh men if this worx you made my day !

@Gez if i want to relax , i know some ways to do so without computers luckily :o) , but seriously : your method sounds almost too simple - i do have to replace the change in the pk3 then , i guess , maybe backup before proceeding ?

@Talon1024 okay : a WAD editor [ ??? ] - would Doom Builder be a good choice there ?

Sorry but i'm so utterly Newbie on the DooM Platform & i really appreciate your suggestions & will try tem out , but there's SO bloody much to learn and it's 5 am , so i'll give your suggestions a shot tomorrow

Namaste
Flocky

Postby Flocky » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:54 pm

Gez wrote:

. . . Open GZDoom.pk3, with any sort of zip utility if you don't have SLADE (it's actually a zip file), extract the file "sounds/dsempty.lmp", rename it as owl.lmp, and load it when you play Hexen.

Thanx Gez , i was able to extract the Lump with 7z in the installation directory , renamed it THERE and added that file to the pk3 [ which i backupped first ] but them b**tches still hoot and coo

i guess the problem lies in the LOAD bit of your solution : HOW ? , or otherwise in the "Where to place the replacement"

if you could halp this 60yo who was a big fan of the Original Slade back in the early 70s one more time , i'd be very grateful

Thanx in Advance
Flocky
Flocky

Postby Gez » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:26 am

Flocky wrote:Thanx Gez , i was able to extract the Lump with 7z in the installation directory , renamed it THERE and added that file to the pk3 [ which i backupped first ] but them b**tches still hoot and coo

It's a question of load order. The last mod loaded wins.

Normal load order is like this: GZDoom's internal data, then the IWAD, then whatever mod you load on top. So the owl sound from Hexen.wad wins. That's why I told you to load your replacement owl sound as a mod. If you put it in gzdoom.pk3, it'll be overridden by the normal sound. You have to load it after.
Gez

Return to Scripting