Reading a note (DIALOG)

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
Hidden Hands

Reading a note (DIALOG)

Post by Hidden Hands »

I have a slight issue. It's not the biggest deal, but I just wondered if there's a fix for this.

In my game you get a lot of chances to read notes and diaries left lying around. A few of these are fairly long and the "ok" button seems to overlap the text. Is there a fix for this? An example can be seen below.

Enjay

Re: Reading a note (DIALOG)

Post by Enjay »

The obvious answer it to split the text and put some of it on a second page. Then instead of just having an OK choice, have a More... choice too If you've played my Gene-Tech mod you see that some of the NPCs have text that goes on to a second page. Obviously, some of the Strife NPCs do this too.
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

Ah, now that's a very good idea! I would prefer that actually, since diary entries should really be page seperated. I'll give it a go. Thanks for the tip! :)
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

Can someone help me out here... I am not sure how to format a dialog to have a next page option. Any help please is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

Sorry to bump this topic, but I'm still having some trouble with this. I really need to arrange all the dialog into seperate pages. How can I do this please?

Code: Select all

conversation
{
    // Book on side table in main hall.
	id = 1;
	actor = "bookop01";
	page
	{
	     name = "History Of The Shadow Demons";
		 dialog = "text here.";
	     choice
		 {
		     text = "next page";
		 }
		 choice
		 {
		     text = "Stop reading";
}
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

Please, read carefully the whole first topic in this thread. It will clearly describe to you how to set-up a dialogue for strife.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=52710

From the example you've posted here, you need to set a nextpage= pageNumber/"pageName" to skip to next page into the Choice {} block.
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

Ahhhhhhhh. I just grasped it. Thank you!! I now have my pages working properly .

Return to “Scripting”