Actor has no Frames?

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
Grey-Wolf
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Actor has no Frames?

Post by Grey-Wolf »

Hello there!

After almost one year of inactivity, I decided to continue a mod that I started some time ago, based on Brutal Doom. Since a new version of Brutal Doom came ot in may, I had to convert my old mod and rebuild it on top of the last version of BD.
Most features seems to be untouched and working as intended but something's seems off with many actors, mostly ammo and weapon pickups, and other items that are supposed to stay on the floor until picked up.

Just an exclamation mark is appearing in game, with warnings in the console telling stuff like "Shells at X position has no frames" and so on.
The weird thing is that if I use the console to summon said item, it appears normally without any problem (since all the required sprites are in place), so I'm a little confused here.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Actor has no Frames?

Post by Graf Zahl »

What does the spawn state of this actor look like? That message appears when the very first state's sprite cannot be found.
Grey-Wolf
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Grey-Wolf »

Looks like I actually forgot to change the name of the first state's sprite, which was a place-holder one. For some reason summoning the same item via console made the actor ... "skip" that frame? I don't really know, but the fact that it was showing correctly in that case confused me.
Well thank you as always, You saved me a lot of time.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Grey-Wolf wrote:For some reason summoning the same item via console made the actor ... "skip" that frame?
Of course, no frames are skipped. Things spawned during map loading are replaced with Unknown actor if they have no frames. Other code paths, like summon CCMD, don't have this check, they just spawn invisible things of requested class.

Return to “Scripting”