Using ACS for most of my standalone game logic - Bad idea?

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
DoomeDx

Using ACS for most of my standalone game logic - Bad idea?

Post by DoomeDx »

Hey all,

After multiple attempts with Zscript, I just cant wrap my head around it. For 2 years i've been doing all my logic through DECORATE and ACS, including custom menu's.

I was wondering if its acceptable to do everything through ACS / DECORATE for a standalone game, including the HUD, weapon switching mechanics, player movement movement etc. I know SBARINFO exists but ACS gives me more control over things.

While I consider myself an above-average JAVA developer, ZSCRIPT is a pain to me. There's a severe lack of a proper IDE and documentation to guide me through it. Everything is working smoothly through ACS for me, but at times I wonder if its considered a bad practice to do everything through ACS rather than ZSCRIPT.

Should I stick to ACS? Or should I force myself to try and master ZSCRIPT?

Thanks!
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Using ACS for most of my standalone game logic - Bad ide

Post by Rachael »

You should use ZScript as much as possible.

That being said, you're not forced to. There's no rule that says you have to. If you can't use ZScript, or if you prefer to use ACS and/or DECORATE, they're perfectly viable ways to build your game. Just be careful when documentation or people say "you can't do this" - if you find a workaround, it's likely to break in future GZDoom versions.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Before switching to zScript, I used ACS alot but eventually gave up on it because of the limitation to integers, and having to bit-shift floating point numbers back and forth which creates messy code when complex equations are needed. Nowadays, I use zScript exclusively and ACS only for setting up some values of zScript actors which are map-specific (like a lift that has all it's logic handles via zScript but is given things like speed and number of floors in ACS. It probably helped that I had years of C# experience when I started Doom modding.
DoomeDx

Post by DoomeDx »

Cherno wrote:Before switching to zScript, I used ACS alot but eventually gave up on it because of the limitation to integers, and having to bit-shift floating point numbers back and forth which creates messy code when complex equations are needed. Nowadays, I use zScript exclusively and ACS only for setting up some values of zScript actors which are map-specific (like a lift that has all it's logic handles via zScript but is given things like speed and number of floors in ACS. It probably helped that I had years of C# experience when I started Doom modding.
Got any tips to help me on my ZSCRIPT journey? What do you use to code it? I use Notepad++ for it but I was wondering if there's perhaps a text editor that supports the ZSCRIPT synthax.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

DoomeDx

Post by DoomeDx »

I did not know about that one. Thank you!

Return to “Scripting”