Question about player sound classes

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
Enjay

Question about player sound classes

Post by Enjay »

The new support for "neutral" and "other" has upset a little mod that I sometimes load where I have male, female and cyborg sounds defined for the different player "genders".

Initially, with the new release, my "cyborg" selection was just playing the male sounds. I've fixed that and now selecting "other" gives cyborg sounds and the "itself" style of messages work quite nicely with that voice. However, I'm not sure how (or even if it is possible) to give "neutral" its own distinct voice. Currently, it defaults to the male sounds and I don't see anything obvious in the gzdoom.pk3/filter/game-doomchex/sndinfo.txt file for neutral. (Male, female and other are obvious).

Is it possible to make selecting the "neutral" gender give the player a neutral-specific voice or does it simply change the pronouns and default to the male voice with no further customisation possible?

I'm not particularly bothered either way, I'd just like to know before I spend time working on an additional sound set.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Question about player sound classes

Post by Graf Zahl »

Neutral is - "neutral" in SNDINFO. Yes, there are no definitions for this in gzdoom.pk3. To be honest if it wasn't for legacy feature preservation, even the female and other ones should be removed because there's no data backing them (Definitions should come with the data, not define how the data is supposed to be named.)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Honestly this feature always struck me as a bit oddly implemented. If it were up to me and I could go back in time, I would've asked to see if gender could be defined purely by the skin or player class (if "base") being used, and not have these extra SNDINFO entries.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yes, I've always found it a bit strange that the gender of messages and the sound of the voice were tied to each other but that the skin is independent of that. Properly done player classes that specifiy messages, sounds and appearance would be much better IMO.

Anyway, it looks like, if I go ahead and bother with an extra sound set, I need to add the "neutral" set to SNDINFO myself. That's cool, I can do that. Question answered. Thanks. :)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

This feature and its implementation reeks of early source port enthusiasm: Someone thought it was cool, it got implemented before there was a good foundation, the result is a worthless mess that nevertheless needs to be preserved because some people would cry foul if it was removed or altered.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Just a side bolt-on question, I notice that the current gzdoom.pk3 has "other" in it but my old sound mod uses "cyborg" (I'll change it to "other" seeing as how I'm tweaking it anyway). However, the cyborg voice still works when I select "other" in the menu. I assume that "cyborg" is now treated as an alias of "other" for backwards compatibility or something.

Return to “Scripting”