Any way for decals not be affected by dynamic lights?

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)

Any way for decals not be affected by dynamic lights?

Postby sylandro » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:12 pm

I just ran into the bug where spotlights make decals flicker and it's extremely distracting.

Is there any way for them not to be affected by the spotlight? To experiment, I've tried inheriting and replacing the Decal class setting +BRIGHT but it doesn't seem to work.
sylandro

Re: Any way for decals not be affected by dynamic lights?

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:12 pm

The lighting code for decals is due for a complete overhaul. It won't happen immediately but it will happen rather sooner than later. What had been holding me back so far is the impact on performance but now I think how this can be solved without an adverse effect.

The problem was that the lights are compiled right before rendering which allows the time spent to be offset by using time that'd otherwise have to be used to wait for the GPU. But for decals I need the data earlier.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Return to Scripting