Changing Summon Name for DeHackEd Entities

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Changing Summon Name for DeHackEd Entities

Postby odysseyofnoises1 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:12 pm

I've created a number of custom monsters using DeHackEd for a vanilla-compatible wad, but some of the monsters replace things such as the gibbed marine decoration. Is it possible to make it so that I can type the actual monster's name when summoning it instead of summon gibbedmarine, which is rather awkward? I've tried to make a simple DECORATE lump with something like actor CustomMonster : GibbedMarine replaces GibbedMarine {}, but that just summons the default gibbed marine. In addition, is it possible to specify proper obituary messages so that it doesn't just say player died when the player is killed by a custom monster? I tried attaching the wad in question, but it's not letting me do so.
odysseyofnoises1

Re: Changing Summon Name for DeHackEd Entities

Postby Gez » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:18 am

odysseyofnoises1 wrote:I've tried to make a simple DECORATE lump with something like actor CustomMonster : GibbedMarine replaces GibbedMarine {}, but that just summons the default gibbed marine.

No, it doesn't. If it did, you'd get what you want. What it does is summon a CustomMonster, which is a perfect clone of the GibbedMarine before DeHackEd change. So the original is modified, and you summon an unmodified copy.

So what you need to do is to summon the original (and modified by dehacked). For that, the simplest is to use a RandomSpawner:

Code: Select allExpand view
Actor CustomMonster : RandomSpawner { DropItem "GibbedMarine" }

So now when you use "summon custommonster", it'll drop a gibbedmarine which will be your custom dehacked monster.
Gez

Postby Reginald Sannerwill » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:35 pm

Awesome, that works. Is there any hope for the obituary messages, or will I have to live with the "player died" message?
Reginald Sannerwill

Postby Gez » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:06 am

For a dehacked monster? The only way they could get custom obituaries would be to get (feature request) GZDoom to give obituary strings to every Doom/Doom II actor.
Gez

Postby Lilybeth Dunnerford » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:34 am

Awww, damn -- that's what I thought. I guess I'll consider putting in a feature request for that, though I highly doubt something like this would be high up on the developers' priority list. Oh well -- thanks for at least getting me this far.
Lilybeth Dunnerford

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:17 am

I'd rather do it so that any dying actor without a defined obituary can look up "(HIT)OBITUARY_classname" string from the string table. Everything else would be overkill and unmanageable.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Return to Scripting