Very very new to doom modding.

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
will183
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win-10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Very very new to doom modding.

Post by will183 »

I have no clue how to use slade, where to get sprites from or how to make them. Need help
Cherno

Re: Very very new to doom modding.

Post by Cherno »

1. The zDoom wiki is your friend.
2. Slade is basically just a file browser for zDoom-compatible archive formats (mainly wad and pk3). The things you need to learn are creating directories, where specific file types go (sprites in a dir named "sprites", and so on), changing offsets for sprites and other graphics, and the special text files like DECORATE and MAPINFO in an archive's root directory. I would be surprised if there weren't any Youtube tutorials for this. Also essential are file name conventions, especially for sprites. This is also explained comprehensively in the wiki. As a first exercise, I would recommend trying to replace vanilla Doom (2) sprites with custom ones.

Return to “Scripting”