Cutscene ACS beginner questions

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
Leon_Portier

Cutscene ACS beginner questions

Post by Leon_Portier »

Reading a recent thread about the troubles of implementing video cut scenes has reignited my interest in making cut-scenes in ACS.

I´m making some introductory cutscenes and mission briefings with the ACS scripting language. Now I am at the point where I feel the need to ask some questions regarding camera zoom, lighting, movement, sprites of actors and I´m also happy to be given general tips.
Thanks to the tutorial on the wiki I got pretty far! https://doomnexus.drdteam.org/Tutorial/cutscenes.html

Regarding the camera zoom, in the following image is a briefing depicted. It was made using a aiming camera, a wall texture as the picture and text thanks to the hudmessage function. I made the picture fit into the camera frame by moving the camera and stretching the texture, but I would find it easier just to zoom the view, that would also be very nice with a landscape shot. Is it even possible to zoom the camera?
Also, I noticed many players like to use darkening mods like Dark Doom, which make the picture hard to see, is there a way to force a single line to be fullbright?

Regarding animating a sprite I´m using a puppet actor with states calling different frames of animation, which I can set with the ACS function [wiki]SetActorState[/wiki].
For precise movements it seems the best to use the [wiki]ActorMover[/wiki] for movement and [wiki]SetActorState[/wiki] for a walking animation, whats your opinion on this?
Spoiler:
kodi

Re: Cutscene ACS beginner questions

Post by kodi »

is there a way to force a single line to be fullbright?
Provided you're in UDMF, you can select a line and force a brightness level on it in GZDoom Builder. Same tab where you choose the texture. That should take care of mods that darken all sectors, but not any that deviously darken every single linedef if zscript can even do that.
Is it even possible to zoom the camera?
SetCameraToTexture has a FOV argument which you can change.

Post by Guest »

You can show an image using a hudmessage, no need to go the way around textures on walls:

SetFont("MYIMG");
HudMessage(s:"A"; HUDMSG_FADEOUT, 0, CR_UNTRANSLATED, 0.5, 0.55, 0.0, 0.0);

Just define a graphic, use SetFont to load it as a 'font', and print the letter 'A' using a hudmessage. Important is to have it 'CR_UNTRANSLATED' for some reason...
And voila, here is your image :D
Leon_Portier

Post by Leon_Portier »

kodi wrote:
is there a way to force a single line to be fullbright?
Provided you're in UDMF, you can select a line and force a brightness level on it in GZDoom Builder. Same tab where you choose the texture. That should take care of mods that darken all sectors, but not any that deviously darken every single linedef if zscript can even do that.
Is it even possible to zoom the camera?
SetCameraToTexture has a FOV argument which you can change.
Ah, found the brightness of lines, Ill try the camera to texture one out, thank you!
Charles Hocklekod wrote:You can show an image using a hudmessage, no need to go the way around textures on walls:

SetFont("MYIMG");
HudMessage(s:"A"; HUDMSG_FADEOUT, 0, CR_UNTRANSLATED, 0.5, 0.55, 0.0, 0.0);

Just define a graphic, use SetFont to load it as a 'font', and print the letter 'A' using a hudmessage. Important is to have it 'CR_UNTRANSLATED' for some reason...
And voila, here is your image :D
That sounds amazing, I have to try that one out!

Return to “Scripting”