How do you make a BFG9000 hurt stuff around it?

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
BLACKWIDOW

How do you make a BFG9000 hurt stuff around it?

Post by BLACKWIDOW »

Example from Complex Doom:

I want to make it so it the BFG Ball hurts stuff around it just like in Doom 3

I really need help on this and i clearly don't understand how to make it like that.
eharper256

Re: How do you make a BFG9000 hurt stuff around it?

Post by eharper256 »

I don't know myself, but you could study how Argent does it: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=52363
Collegia Titanica

Post by Collegia Titanica »

I can actually help! D4T has this already, so please, download it and open up the bfg's decorate.

Look for BFGLooker

The way it's done there is that there is are seeker actors that are spawned and they are spawned at an angle AND have a 60 degree FieldOfView, while also being spaced 60 degrees. So each of these is responsible for a certain angle judging from the ball's perspective!

Study that case in detail, you'll realize everything quickly
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

For the most basic function, you give the projectile +ISMONSTER, +FRIENDLY and then use A_LookEx to make it find targets and some sort of an attack function to attack them. It works like a monster but looks like a projectile.

It can be done in different ways and D4D probably does it better.

Return to “Scripting”