Weapon scope sees beyond anything

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
Reactor

Weapon scope sees beyond anything

Post by Reactor »

I sure hope this is the right topic...

This is not a mandatory feature or anything, though it could make certain weapons a lot more useful, and several modders could profit from it. I was wondering, is it possible to program a weapon scope to mark enemies beyond walls, static objects, models, possible fog etc. within a certain distance. Even if said weapon can't shoot thru walls, the player could certainly get the upper hand, especially on later levels, where enemies are numerous and tough. This could also help with those nasty monster-closets.
Of course if it is not possible or much too complicated, we could drop this feature. I've seen this on Red Faction before, and I found it very elaborate.

Try ME, miner!!! :D :D :D
Attachments
Red Faction Rail Driver scope
Red Faction Rail Driver scope
comet1337

Re: Weapon scope sees beyond anything

Post by comet1337 »

ghastly was working on a threat sensor in his D3/D4 mod
real guns hardcore has a wallhack IIRC
marisa's UT mod has the guided redeemer rockets see through walls
the railgun in guncaster has this too
you could also look up HUDMessageOnActor on the wiki

it's possible, but involves a lot of math BS for placing it accurately on the hud (i tried the easy way, it was off center by a large margin)
check how those mods did theirs or ask their authors
Nash

Post by Nash »

Doing this the proper way like the image in the OP (as in, no hacks, no HUDMessageOnActor tomfoolery and things like that) would require custom depth buffers, something the GZDoom renderer currently doesn't support.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Ahhh, so it's not yet implemented. Well, no matter, it wasn't that important. GZDoom is not yet that advanced to support such feature. I'll take a look on Real Guns and Guncaster tho, and see if I can still make anything useful with such a scope :)
Maybe those hacks will work just perfectly, who knows...

Return to “Scripting”