Script activates from only one kind of projectile

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
Ichor

Script activates from only one kind of projectile

Post by Ichor »

Let's say you want to break a wall, but you don't want to be able to do it with just a shotgun. Instead, you want a rocket to do it. How can that be done? I know about CheckWeapon, but that checks what weapon you have, not what hit the wall. For instance, suppose you have little or no weapons and you're on the run from a cyberdemon. You see a nifty weapon behind some tempered glass, but you can't get at it or shoot it (glass is too thick). So you decide to lure the cyberdemon to you in the hope that he would blast that wall for you, and it works. His rocket accomplishes what your bullets could not. You hurry in to get the weapon and use it to defeat the cyberdemon. Yay and stuff.

I do know about the ore in Strife that works on forcefields, but is there another way using ACS?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Script activates from only one kind of projectile

Post by Graf Zahl »

With ACS? Definitely no. With ZScript it may be doable, but I'm not sure.
I have seen maps that did rocket triggers by putting some invisible thing in front of the wall that only can be damaged by blast damage.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

Graf Zahl wrote:I have seen maps that did rocket triggers by putting some invisible thing in front of the wall that only can be damaged by blast damage.
I have tried that too (and it did work). The only problem is that if I use a melee on it, it would act like I hit it, even though it doesn't do any damage. Like punching a ZXmasTree. If there was a way to disallow that, then it would be perfect.

Also, I've been thinking about +SPECTRAL. That might work, but it needs some more experiments.

I ask because all of this here seems a bit hacky and I was wondering if there was an easier way using ACS.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'd make such a thing zero height and width, like a ghost monster. Then blast damage is the only thing that can damage it.

And again: ACS is not a tool for this. If this gets ever implemented it'd be in ZScript.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

Graf Zahl wrote:I'd make such a thing zero height and width, like a ghost monster. Then blast damage is the only thing that can damage it.
Funny thing is, I thought of this precise thing not 10 minutes ago (though I can't actually test it now), since splash damage from a specific thing is exactly what I'm going for here.

In any case, thank you.

Return to “Scripting”