Mapinfo's Action Special help

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Mapinfo's Action Special help

Post by irontusk341 »

i wanted the level minibosses activate special actions like FLOOR_LOWERTOHIGHEST etc... i had the floor tagged as 666, but it still wont lower on miniboss death, i even had
SpecialAction = "<Skeleton>", "Floor_LowerToLowest" in the map info.

in the Decorate i put

BOSS M 0 A_bossdeath

The Wiki says it should look like this.
SpecialAction = "<monstertype>", "<action special>"

also i tried removing brackets on "Skeleton" loading it, as well.. still didnt work.

Alternatively i tried a different approach, i added

BOSS M 0 A_CallSpecial (21, 17, 64)

That also didnt work... any suggestions?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Mapinfo's Action Special help

Post by Graf Zahl »

irontusk341 wrote:i wanted the level minibosses activate special actions like FLOOR_LOWERTOHIGHEST etc... i had the floor tagged as 666, but it still wont lower on miniboss death, i even had
SpecialAction = "<Skeleton>", "Floor_LowerToLowest" in the map info.
First, the brackets need to go.
Second, the naked special won't do anything. You also need to provide the relevant parameters so that it can actually do something. Floor_LowerToLowest needs a tag and a speed value to work. It does NOT pick tag 666 by itself and it does NOT pick a default speed. It finds a tag 0, which normally means to activate the backside of a line, which does not exist by a thing-activated special, and even if it was there, the speed is 0, which wouldn't do any movement at all.
irontusk341

Post by irontusk341 »

Graf Zahl wrote: First, the brackets need to go.
Second, the naked special won't do anything. You also need to provide the relevant parameters so that it can actually do something. Floor_LowerToLowest needs a tag and a speed value to work. It does NOT pick tag 666 by itself and it does NOT pick a default speed. It finds a tag 0, which normally means to activate the backside of a line, which does not exist by a thing-activated special, and even if it was there, the speed is 0, which wouldn't do any movement at all.
So a A_Callspecial (21,17,64) would be referring to what parameters? (21,17,64) Do you know what proper sequence is needed to make A_Callspecial work as intended?
*For instance after a unique skeleton dies in a level, the blocking floor by the exit lowers from 128 to 0 revealing the exit switch*
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Don't use A_CallSpecial directly. It's really just a backing function for using line specials in DECORATE but for that needs to be exported.
Regarding the action you want to trigger, the precise numbers depend on the map and the effect you want to perform. There is no universal answer here.
irontusk341

Post by irontusk341 »

Graf Zahl wrote:Don't use A_CallSpecial directly. It's really just a backing function for using line specials in DECORATE but for that needs to be exported.
Regarding the action you want to trigger, the precise numbers depend on the map and the effect you want to perform. There is no universal answer here.
hopefully this will help... I wanted to make a map where killing a custom sprite boss (andy) in E2M8 and her boss death would allow the floor to lower from 128 to 0 revealing the exit portal. i had her tagged as +BOSS, and +BOSSDEATH, and put A_BOSSDEATH in her Death script.

DIAB J 5 A_BOSSDEATH
DIAB K 5 A_FaceTarget
DIAB L 5 A_Scream
DIAB MNOPQ 5
DIAB R 10

The added the tags 666 in the two floor sectors that are set as floor height 128 Ceiling height 128 (the room ceiling height is at 128).
In the map info i have as follows.

noinfighting
FallingDamage
AllowJump
next = "E3M1"
secretnext = "E2M9"
sky1 = "SKY2"
cluster = 2
nointermission
SpecialAction = "Andy", "Floor_LowerToLowest"
music = "MUS_E2M8"

am i missing anything? what should be changed?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

irontusk341 wrote:
noinfighting
FallingDamage
AllowJump
next = "E3M1"
secretnext = "E2M9"
sky1 = "SKY2"
cluster = 2
nointermission
music = "MUS_E2M8"

Yes, you missed something. Like I said a few posts above, the SpecialAction requires some parameters to work. It does not pick tag 666 by default and it doesn't have any speed by default. So you have to add something like

SpecialAction = "Andy", "Floor_LowerToLowest", 666, 150 //(change the 150 to a speed value that suits you.)
irontusk341

Post by irontusk341 »

Graf Zahl wrote:
irontusk341 wrote:
noinfighting
FallingDamage
AllowJump
next = "E3M1"
secretnext = "E2M9"
sky1 = "SKY2"
cluster = 2
nointermission
music = "MUS_E2M8"

Yes, you missed something. Like I said a few posts above, the SpecialAction requires some parameters to work. It does not pick tag 666 by default and it doesn't have any speed by default. So you have to add something like

SpecialAction = "Andy", "Floor_LowerToLowest", 666, 150 //(change the 150 to a speed value that suits you.)
I will check it out and get back to you. Thanks!

Return to “Scripting”