[Solved] Calling dialogue script from a linedef

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
_reallyTired

[Solved] Calling dialogue script from a linedef

Post by _reallyTired »

is it possible to trigger dialogue by pressing use on a line/wall? The following works:

Code: Select all

namespace ="Zdoom";
Include = "SCRIPT00";

conversation
{
	Actor = "ZombieMan";
	Page
	{
		Name = "Hello";
		Dialog = "World";
	}
}
But replacing "ZombieMan" with "SecActUseWall" and placing the necesary thing down on a wall doesnt let me use it. clearly im misunderstanding how to use the secactusewall actor but the wiki page doesnt really help me. it may be possible to trigger it without a thing at all but i need conversation ID which i dont beleive i can give to a line.

Thanks in advance and im sorry if im being stupid.
Last edited by _reallyTired on Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_reallyTired

Re: Calling dialogue script from a linedef

Post by _reallyTired »

Doesnt matter, i figured it out now, i was being pretty dumb...
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

First: You dont really need to tie the conversation to a actor. This is an old way of doing the conversation. I have never tied the conversation to one specific actor, yet all conversations work for me.

And this comes to other point: You cannot tie conversation to a linedef special.
_reallyTired

Post by _reallyTired »

ramon.dexter wrote:First: You dont really need to tie the conversation to a actor. This is an old way of doing the conversation. I have never tied the conversation to one specific actor, yet all conversations work for me.

And this comes to other point: You cannot tie conversation to a linedef special.
okay, as i said i figured out what i wanted to do anyway. but its also best to explain how to do things instead of just saying theyre doing it wrong, it comes off as rude and is really not helpful.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

ramon.dexter wrote: And this comes to other point: You cannot tie conversation to a linedef special.

[wiki]StartConversation[/wiki] with proper setup can come quite close.
_reallyTired

Post by _reallyTired »

Graf Zahl wrote:[wiki]StartConversation[/wiki] with proper setup can come quite close.
This was what i ended up doing, i thought i tried it and it didnt work but i mustve been doing something wrong since it worked fine the second time not long after i made my post.

Return to “Scripting”