make all maps 0 brightness?

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
lastbornwolf

make all maps 0 brightness?

Post by lastbornwolf »

hi, im trying to figure out how to make all maps of any wad default set to 0 brightness. im working on a horror wad, and i want to add a base script to the wad in XWE that makes all maps completely dark and the player has a light around them. mods like lasting light do this, but i cannot figure out how. its meant to used with vanilla wads, so scripting in doom builder would not be doable its more of a playstyle type of wad so i am not editing any maps and changing their brightness individually.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: make all maps 0 brightness?

Post by ramon.dexter »

First: dump the horrible XWE and start using Slade.
Last edited by Rachael on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: warned user
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

lastbornwolf

Post by lastbornwolf »

yea, i dont care about slade, XWE is fine with me, jackass. and secondly, darkdoom is alright but i dont want the flashlight. i just want maps pitch black like lasting light
Last edited by wildweasel on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: User was warned for this post.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

lastbornwolf wrote:yea, i dont care about slade, XWE is fine with me, jackass.
Let's see if anybody else feels like helping you, if this is how you respond to it.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

ramon.dexter wrote:First: dump the horrible XWE and start using Slade.
This is unnecessary and unhelpful, and does nothing to actually address OP's real issue.

If you're going to make comments like this, at least present some type of a solution to their problem other than "stop using XWE because it sucks".

And in addition: There are still some things XWE can do that Slade can't. While we might prefer "one editor to rule them all", Slade just is not quite there yet. So there are still legitimate reasons to use XWE, and that makes your point here invalid.

This forum is not the "wild wild internet" haven that some people (mostly children) who typically come from other notorious sites seem to think it is - and seem to not understand a lot about human interaction and seem to so desperately want a completely unmoderated and anarchic forum where they can brashly say whatever comes to their mind and not face consequences. If you think a big guy in real life would punch you in the face for saying it, then don't say it here.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

Sorry, ma bad. My experience with XWE is, well, not good, so I advised to use slade. Yep, my apologies.
lastbornwolf

Post by lastbornwolf »

so no one knows what im talking about? have you played lasting light???
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

lastbornwolf wrote:so no one knows what im talking about? have you played lasting light???
I'd actually suggest looking at DarkDoomZ as reference; it has exactly the functionality that you're looking for, and shouldn't be too difficult to remove the flashlight functionality (or just, y'know, not use it).

Return to “Scripting”