Create illusion of "between tick effect"

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
Apeirogon

Create illusion of "between tick effect"

Post by Apeirogon »

As it say, how, and is it possible, create ILLUSION, not actual simulation, that gzdoom can simulate actions on screen more ofthen than 1/35 seconds?

Example, I want to make true realistic minigun, which can shoot ten hungred milion thousend billions projectile in minute.
I well aware that I can spawn/spam as much projectile as I want in a single tick, in decorate and zscript and acs.
But from player perspective, its visible that with such rate of fire, more than one bullet in tick, minugun look like some weird kind of shootgun, which sounds like "PEW PEW PEW" instead of "BOOM...SHUC-SHUC".
So I want to make illusion, rendering illusion I think, that this minigun constantly shoot bullets, without 1/35 seconds pause.
Xaser

Re: Create illusion of "between tick effect"

Post by Xaser »

Try offsetting the projectiles' positions -- e.g. if you're shooting 5 projectiles per tic, spawn projectiles 2 through 5 further away from the player. That'll make it look like a stream of projectiles rather than a series of shotgun bursts.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Mix the shot sound so you've got two going off 1/70th of a second apart, then play that every tic instead of the regular shot.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Matt wrote:Mix the shot sound so you've got two going off 1/70th of a second apart, then play that every tic instead of the regular shot.
This is not about sound, but for visual part of weapon.
Xaser wrote:Try offsetting the projectiles' positions -- e.g. if you're shooting 5 projectiles per tic, spawn projectiles 2 through 5 further away from the player. That'll make it look like a stream of projectiles rather than a series of shotgun bursts.
Dont help in case if I need something like laser aim, like in project brutality, or which work like "constantly shoot a_bulletattack() and make it puff look like laser dot".
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Be more specific with your help requests then. You didn't mention anything about laser sight effects, and if you're looking for a "one size fits all" solution, there isn't one.

Return to “Scripting”