Deciding on actor spawn IDs to avoid conflicting numbers?

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
crowbars82

Deciding on actor spawn IDs to avoid conflicting numbers?

Post by crowbars82 »

Hi all!

How do people decide on numbers to use for actor spawn IDs for new custom actors in DECORATE.txt?

Is there a way, such as a global database (apart from the lists on the Wikis for the games) which people are able to upload which numbers/IDs they have used so others can see which numbers/IDs are free/spare?

I have found a relatively good way to extract all the used actor spawn IDs from various text files from some mods using RegEx and have compiled a list for the following games/mods (see attached files):

EDIT: Can't see if that list uploaded, here is a pastebin version!
  • BRUTAL DOOM
    BRUTAL DOOM HELL ON EARTH STARTER PACK
    CHEX QUEST
    DOOM 1
    DOOM 2
    HERETIC
    HEXEN
    PROJECT BRUTALITY
    RAVEN
    SKULLTAG
    STRIFE
    VAVOOM
    ZDOOM
I can see some nice gaps to use for my custom actor spawn IDs, such as between [9511] (Copy ceiling slope - ZDOOM) and [9800] (PointLight - VAVOOM) which would give me a nice chunk of 289 spare IDs.

Or is it case of use the numbers you want, building your own mod with other mods in mind, and hope that people can play your mod with others without ID conflicts?

Much thanks!
Eliot_L

Re: Deciding on actor spawn IDs to avoid conflicting numbers

Post by Eliot_L »

It's an interesting question. Nowadays if you don't need the actor placed in a map, you might be able to get away without assinging a DoomEdId at all, since actors can be spawned from scripts, etc. by class name.
crowbars82

Re: Deciding on actor spawn IDs to avoid conflicting numbers

Post by crowbars82 »

Thanks Eliot, I'm modding a version of oblige and am reliant on using the spawn number at current. This has helped me rethink how I will spawn certain actors though!

Return to “Scripting”