Help a newbie create custom monsters?

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Help a newbie create custom monsters?

Postby SubHuman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:20 pm

So something I've been interested in is creating custom monsters, but i have no idea what i'm doing and haven't been able to find anything that can help me with this so far.

What i thought i would do is replace the ZombieMan sprites with Nazi soldier sprites but keep all other aspects of the monster the same (i found the sprite sheet for the Nazi soldier online, thought i would use it just for a bit of practice). I already have the sprites named correctly with the correct angles etc, and i understand mirroring, but i'm lost from this point on. I assume I should us DECORATE? or am i wrong there as well. Any help would be appreciated, but i am very new to this so sorry if i'm a bit slow.

If it helps I've already created a couple of custom weapons using sprites and sound effects i found online and my some of my own aswell, and that was easy enough.

Cheers!
SubHuman

Re: Help a newbie create custom monsters?

Postby Cherno » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:09 pm

If you just want to replace the sprite graphics, just put them into the sprites folder in your custom pk3 archive and they will automatically be used instead of the original sprites. This goes for all graphics and textures (textures need to go into the textures folder, though.

DECORATE is only needed if you want to use graphics with different names for an existing monster (or one based on it), or modify the behavior.
Cherno

Return to Scripting