need help with first Zscript weapon

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Re: need help with first Zscript weapon

Postby Matt » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:08 pm

I think the mods are okay with bumps of threads by the OP that are on-topic and continue the discussion legitimately - and dead threads are measured in months and years not days!

Reading your experience here I'm wondering if it might actually be more helpful to learn Decorate first without anonymous functions, then ZScript - I can't think of any equivalent in any coding anything else to the way frames work in Doom.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: need help with first Zscript weapon

Postby vAethor » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:19 pm

Matt wrote:Reading your experience here I'm wondering if it might actually be more helpful to learn Decorate first without anonymous functions, then ZScript - I can't think of any equivalent in any coding anything else to the way frames work in Doom.

I'm still a beginner even at Decorate, but I am getting very close to intermediate. Again I first picked up Doom modding in the mid-2000s when most WADs back then were pretty much just crappy resource replacement mods. I did not get serious about making genuinely good mods until just last year as until then I spent most of my time with "real" programming languages. Which is why I think Zscript threw me off a bit just now.

But I know the overlay functions seem to be designed for Decorate before Zscript, so maybe before I get into a full ammo counter I could just practice with simpler overlays that only focus on doing their own animation outside of the frames of the main gun sprite, instead of trying to assign each frame to do a different thing in code.
vAethor

Previous

Return to Scripting