ACS in PK3 files

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

ACS in PK3 files

Postby Ahpiox » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:21 am

I wanna make little gore mod written in ACS. How i can make my script work?
Ahpiox
THIS IS A BRAND NEW HIP-HOP MIX STRAIGHT FROM THE STREETS! HOT 97 TO YOU!

Re: ACS in PK3 files

Postby Stardust » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:16 am

You don't provide enough informations so I dunno what do you mean by "making my script work"
There are tutorials and link that could help you such as https://zdoom.org/wiki/A_quick_beginner ... ide_to_ACS if you never had contact with ACS before. It's somewhat similar to the C programming language-

To do ACS stuff you simply need to write the ACS code (in a txt lump inside your mod), then compile it :T
Whenever you modify your ACS code, compile it (right click ==> scripts ==> compile ACS in SLADE). You need to have an ACC to compile your code : see here
https://zdoom.org/wiki/ACC
Stardust

Postby RaveYard » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:54 am

Ahpiox wrote:I wanna make little gore mod

You probably need https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZScript (or https://zdoom.org/wiki/DECORATE ) instead of ACS.
RaveYard

Postby Ahpiox » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:52 pm

RaveYard, i looked at Nashgore and Brutal Doom packages, and they all written in ACS, so why not
Ahpiox

Postby Ahpiox » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:00 pm

Stardust wrote:You don't provide enough informations so I dunno what do you mean by "making my script work"
There are tutorials and link that could help you such as https://zdoom.org/wiki/A_quick_beginner ... ide_to_ACS if you never had contact with ACS before. It's somewhat similar to the C programming language-

To do ACS stuff you simply need to write the ACS code (in a txt lump inside your mod), then compile it :T
Whenever you modify your ACS code, compile it (right click ==> scripts ==> compile ACS in SLADE). You need to have an ACC to compile your code : see here
https://zdoom.org/wiki/ACC

ACS is kind of map script, so i need to know, how to run it on any map without editing the original map.
Thanks for reply. If something happened - i will ask.
Ahpiox

Postby Arctangent » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:55 pm

Ahpiox wrote:RaveYard, i looked at Nashgore and Brutal Doom packages, and they all written in ACS, so why not

Based on that NashGore comment, I'm pretty sure you're somehow mistaking ACS for DECORATE as, if I remember correctly, NashGore doesn't have ACS in the slightest.

Even Brutal Doom is mostly written in DECORATE, supplemented with ACS to make up for some of DECORATE's deficiencies. Of course, ZScript can do anything DECORATE can do and more and removes basically all the need to use ACS in tandem.
Arctangent
squawky

Discord: SquawkyAtan#2371

Postby Ahpiox » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:27 am

Arctangent wrote:
Ahpiox wrote:RaveYard, i looked at Nashgore and Brutal Doom packages, and they all written in ACS, so why not

Based on that NashGore comment, I'm pretty sure you're somehow mistaking ACS for DECORATE as, if I remember correctly, NashGore doesn't have ACS in the slightest.

Even Brutal Doom is mostly written in DECORATE, supplemented with ACS to make up for some of DECORATE's deficiencies. Of course, ZScript can do anything DECORATE can do and more and removes basically all the need to use ACS in tandem.

I just want some particles, that appear when monster died, and some another misc. features, not complex gore system.
Ahpiox

Postby Arctangent » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:11 am

That would definitely be ZScript / DECORATE, as ACS has exactly zero to do with changing what happens when any actor dies. It's meant for stuff like making things happen in a specific map when a specific monster dies, as an example.
Arctangent
squawky

Discord: SquawkyAtan#2371

Postby Ahpiox » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:59 am

Arctangent wrote:That would definitely be ZScript / DECORATE, as ACS has exactly zero to do with changing what happens when any actor dies. It's meant for stuff like making things happen in a specific map when a specific monster dies, as an example.

Thanks
Ahpiox

Postby Ahpiox » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:34 am

Arctangent wrote:That would definitely be ZScript / DECORATE, as ACS has exactly zero to do with changing what happens when any actor dies. It's meant for stuff like making things happen in a specific map when a specific monster dies, as an example.

But how to make actor death's 'trigger'?
Ahpiox

Postby Zen3001 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:43 am

here is how I got into decorate, it's very simple if you really only want to create particles
this video is a nice introduction but to start creating your own stuff after an intorduction you will need the wiki
Zen3001
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?
Banned User

Discord: #0629

Postby ZippeyKeys12 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:55 pm

If you want to replace the blood in general, then look at a basic decorate tutorial and have it replace blood. If you want it to only happen on death, I usually just use a death script like droplets gibs(I believe) do and have it spawn whatever you want.
ZippeyKeys12

Return to Scripting