Could this type of menu be done in Zscript?

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
ibm5155

Could this type of menu be done in Zscript?

Post by ibm5155 »

Main Idea:

On titplepic map:
titlepic shows some intro stuff, if user press any key to show the menu, it'll not show the menu, but it'll call an acs script to skip the intro and show main menu scene, if now users press any key, it'll show the menu.
ingame:
if menu is requested, show the menu and some animation on the background (I belive I cannot execute an acs script at this point so maybe some zscript.

Basically a copy and paste of how Spooky House menu should work.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Could this type of menu be done in Zscript?

Post by Graf Zahl »

No. The main issue is that the outer main loop of the engine is not scriptable and this is what takes care of context transitions, e.g. from titlescreen to menu or console.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

My knowledge of ZScript menus is limited (aside from the broad advice of "SendNetworkEvent seems to be useful"), but a likely workable alternative is to make a TITLEMAP and craft the intro/menu-background scenes that way.

I'll have to defer the "how to get the menu to interact with the TITLEMAP" bit to someone who actually knows how to do that part, though.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It's possible but complicated. Everything has to be routed through network events.
But like I said, the bigger problem is that the menu is driven by the outer main loop of the engine which is native code and not particularly configurable.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

oh, I was thinking that the menu stuff was modular enought for doing tasks like that with the inclusion of zscript.
Also, I wouldn't mind if the menu wasn't multiplayer friendly, I could Always on the future make a special version of the mod for being compatible with multiplayer

Return to “Scripting”