Tips to improve my custom weapon?

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Tips to improve my custom weapon?

Post by R4L »

Hey guys.

Thanks to weasel's tutorials, I was able to make my own pistol. Thanks to turbosquid and blender, I was able to make a sprite set for a beretta. I've made a pistol and it feels good to use, but the animations seem off. Keep in mind, I have no real reload animation yet, so some sounds may sound off... It's just offsets for now. I just need some advice on how to smooth out the animation without making the gun feel sluggish to use.

Here's the .pk3 (updated 1-12-18): http://www.mediafire.com/file/p7jqi89r2 ... Pistol.pk3

BTW, really fun to make, and learning a lot! I was also wondering some tips on sprites and animation.Currently importing weapon models into blender, rendering them, exporting them at certain viewpoints, and photoshopping them into DoomGuy hands. My pistol has I think around 10 frames of animation for it's fire state. Should I need more for a smoother animation? I've made some adventure games before but was never quite good at animation. Is there some tips anyone can share for the best workflow?

EDIT: I'm using GZDoom 3.2.4, but should work on anything else...
Last edited by R4L on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zen3001

Re: Tips to improve my custom weapon?

Post by Zen3001 »

looks fine to me
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Tips to improve my custom weapon?

Post by R4L »

Update at OP.

-New reload animation for the Beretta. Also was suggested to add A_Quake and A_SetPitch, so I did.
-New weapon: Benelli M3S shotgun. Has full reload animation as well!

I've also included credit in the .pk3, because without those I'm pretty sure I would not have learned this much. Anyway, please let me know how these feel!

Return to “Scripting”