Tips to improve my custom weapon?

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Tips to improve my custom weapon?

Postby R4L » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:35 am

Hey guys.

Thanks to weasel's tutorials, I was able to make my own pistol. Thanks to turbosquid and blender, I was able to make a sprite set for a beretta. I've made a pistol and it feels good to use, but the animations seem off. Keep in mind, I have no real reload animation yet, so some sounds may sound off... It's just offsets for now. I just need some advice on how to smooth out the animation without making the gun feel sluggish to use.

Here's the .pk3 (updated 1-12-18): http://www.mediafire.com/file/p7jqi89r2 ... Pistol.pk3

BTW, really fun to make, and learning a lot! I was also wondering some tips on sprites and animation.Currently importing weapon models into blender, rendering them, exporting them at certain viewpoints, and photoshopping them into DoomGuy hands. My pistol has I think around 10 frames of animation for it's fire state. Should I need more for a smoother animation? I've made some adventure games before but was never quite good at animation. Is there some tips anyone can share for the best workflow?

EDIT: I'm using GZDoom 3.2.4, but should work on anything else...
Last edited by R4L on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
R4L
Ordinary Vanity

Discord: R4L#4655
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Re: Tips to improve my custom weapon?

Postby Zen3001 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:28 pm

looks fine to me
Zen3001
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?
Banned User

Discord: #0629

Re: Tips to improve my custom weapon?

Postby R4L » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:41 pm

Update at OP.

-New reload animation for the Beretta. Also was suggested to add A_Quake and A_SetPitch, so I did.
-New weapon: Benelli M3S shotgun. Has full reload animation as well!

I've also included credit in the .pk3, because without those I'm pretty sure I would not have learned this much. Anyway, please let me know how these feel!
R4L
Ordinary Vanity

Discord: R4L#4655
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Return to Scripting