NOTAUTOAIMED flag

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

NOTAUTOAIMED flag

Postby Sunbeam » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:18 am

I just added this flag to an object. Also I'm using
Code: Select allExpand view
SetActivator(0, AAPTR_PLAYER_GETTARGET)
in a player script when pointing at that object. This works without the flag but stops working with the flag set. The player's autoaim setting does not seem to matter. Is this the intended behaviour?
Sunbeam

Re: NOTAUTOAIMED flag

Postby Rachael » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:07 pm

Please don't necro old suggestion threads to ask for help.

Moved this to the right forum, which is actually designed to get you the help you are looking for.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Sunbeam » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:44 pm

Thank you. However I used the old thread because it might have been relevant if this was not the intended behaviour.
Sunbeam

Postby Blue Shadow » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:13 am

Sunbeam wrote:Is this the intended behaviour?

I don't have an answer for that, I'm afraid. But in short, here's what's going on with the flag: the engine completely ignores actors with that flag when scanning for an aim-able actor. The used method of aiming (auto or manual) is irrelevant. That's why SetActivator does nothing in that case, as it couldn't find an aim-able actor.

However I used the old thread because it might have been relevant if this was not the intended behaviour.

In such a case, you'd still need to create a bug report, not bump the old thread.
Blue Shadow

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Sunbeam » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:31 am

Blue Shadow wrote:the engine completely ignores actors with that flag when scanning for an aim-able actor. The used method of aiming (auto or manual) is irrelevant. That's why SetActivator does nothing in that case, as it couldn't find an aim-able actor.

Thanks for the clarification. Do you know any other way to get the actor under the player's crosshair?

Blue Shadow wrote:In such a case, you'd still need to create a bug report, not bump the old thread.

Yes. However only if it was actually a bug.
Sunbeam

Postby Rachael » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:24 am

Sunbeam wrote:Yes. However only if it was actually a bug.

Better to report something that's not actually a bug, than not report something that actually might be.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Blue Shadow » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:17 am

Sunbeam wrote:Do you know any other way to get the actor under the player's crosshair?

Try PickActor, and see if it suits your needs. It does things differently to SetActivator in-terms of the whole getting an aim-able actor thing.
Blue Shadow

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Sunbeam » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:19 pm

Blue Shadow wrote:Try PickActor, and see if it suits your needs. It does things differently to SetActivator in-terms of the whole getting an aim-able actor thing.

Thanks! Sounds good. I will give it a try. :)
Sunbeam

Return to Scripting