Windows is Weird (MP3 Numbering)

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Windows is Weird (MP3 Numbering)

Postby Enjay » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:51 am

I have just noticed that if an MP3 file has a three or more figure track number with leading zeros in its tags, Windows Explorer will display the number as an octal. It has always bugged me a bit that the # column in an MP3 folder trims off the leading 0 from a tagged MP3 track number when it displays it, but this is even weirder.
Spoiler:

For example, if a file has the internal track number tag as 010, in an Explorer window, the # column will read 8, 016 shows as 14, 070 shows as 56, 077 as 63 etc etc.

Even right-clicking and looking at the file details in explorer shows the octal number rather than what is in the tag.

However, there are some interesting quirks.
  • It only happens when there is a leading 0. A track with a tag that said 100 displayed correctly. When I changed it to 0100, Windows started displaying it as 64.
  • It doesn't happen with numbers that cannot be in base 8 (i.e. any number that has a digit of 8 or 9). So, for example, 078 shows as 78, 079 as 79 and all 08* and 09* numbers show correctly too (well aside from the fact that Windows insists on ignoring the leading 0).

After figuring out what was going on, I googled the problem and found posts going back more than 10 years (that's ten, not eight ;) ) complaining about this in earlier versions of Windows. And here we are in 2021 and with a completely up to date copy of the current version of the OS and the problem persists.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Re: Windows is Weird (MP3 Numbering)

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:55 am

More proof that Windows Explorer is a piece of garbage that needs to be replaced with a sane alternative.
I never use that PoS so I don't run into such problems. The music and file management tools I use do not suffer from such inane bugs.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Enjay » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:53 am

What do you use? I think I remember you mentioning Total Commander in the past.
Enjay

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:02 pm

Yeah, Total Commander for file management and Media Monkey as my music player. It's the only tool I ever found whose playlist management has been done in a sane fashion.
Graf Zahl

Postby drfrag » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:12 pm

What's weird is that it crashes after a few days without restarting (like in older windows versions), i still use hibernation.
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Postby MartinHowe » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:16 pm

More proof that Octal is an abomination dating from the days of 24 bit processors, despite 24 not being a power of two, that C is an abomination for supporting it directly, ... and that Windows is still crap :p

Still, at least it's useful for setting fso permissions in UNIX / Linux :mrgreen:
MartinHowe
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:21 pm

That's probably the only thing in the entire world it's still useful for... :P
Graf Zahl

Postby leileilol » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:53 pm

If there's a way to go back to the Win95 explorer, i'm all for that option. I'm still fed up with all the automatic 'smart' folder view settings whenever there's files of certain types in them, which causes them to grind the drive a bit to drag all of their metadata into the columns. Too often I have to hit the X, drop the date column, and bring in filetype/time modified columns to regain some OS normalcy.

(Even many Win98 users went back to the 95 explorer - that was one of 98lite's primary selling points to rid of then-controversional IE integration bloat which would often try its best to display directory contents as a 'web page', which meant a big frame panel at the left with big text of whatever you selected with an icon in case you couldn't see what you've selected)
leileilol
フォニュエール!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Apprentice » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:08 am

I am probably the only here who doesn't think that this is "odd" or "weird" but typical behaviour by Windows and the way MP3 files work. I reckon that somewhere in your MP3 tags, a hard number is present that appears in the '#' column and for some reason, the whole MP3 tag system isn't one standard. Tags that I do in Winamp, are not a fully 100% recognised by VLC and tags that I do in VLC aren't picked up the full 100% in Winamp so again, I do reckon that the reason for this behaviour in Windows Explorer, has to do with the way various programs are handling the advanced MP3 tags embedded in MP3 files (ID3v2 and higher) . . .
Apprentice

Discord: Apprentice#7105

Postby Enjay » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:24 am

I'm still going with it being weird because who on Earth wants their track numbers converted to octal. :P

This page has a good discussion of what is going on:
https://community.mp3tag.de/t/x-problem ... -tag/12964
Enjay

Postby NeuralStunner » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:36 am

This is the most useless archaic Windows feature since reserving "AUX". :lol:
NeuralStunner
Not "Neutral"

Discord: NeuralStunner#4201
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby MartinHowe » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:11 am

NeuralStunner wrote:This is the most useless archaic Windows feature since reserving "AUX". :lol:

Indeed :p

MartinHowe wrote:I saw someone on Twitter talking about various geeky aspects of Windows, then somebody wondered idly what
would happen if you could somehow create files on a Windows box called LPT1, CON, AUX, NUL, etc. These
are reserved filenames in Windows and DOS (or CMD) for historical reasons dating to back before the 90s when
your average desktop computer had a (or even TWO!) serial ports (the ancestor of USB). Of course saying that
where I can see it is a bit like saying "Wonder why nobody has put cats in Doom to accompany the MBF dogs",
so of course, I had to try it :) I keep Windows 7 in a VM on my computer (which runs Linux Mint) and have a
shared folder in Downloads called windows that I use to transfer stuff between the host and guest. So of course ...

I am rather disappointed due to the lack of Dark Servants of the Evil One rising from the Pit of Despair at the
Call of Cthulu - it could at least have BSOD'd :)
MartinHowe

Postby fakemai » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:23 am

If it wasn't mentioned in whatever you're bringing up, this is the rant he's likely referring to. And it is even possible to get a BSoD with those if you're on Windows 95.
fakemai

Postby MartinHowe » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:54 am

Foone strikes again - one of my favourite IT follows :)
Though actually, I think it was one of the senior IT sys admin tweeters, can't remember who now.
MartinHowe

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:37 am

If you consider that all it took to create this bug was passing 0 instead of 10 to the last parameter of strtol it's all the more confusing why it never got fixed.

BTW, the C++ standard library gets it right, it defaults the base to 10 as any sane person would expect.
It's just proof that the people who originally created C were a *little* bit out of touch with general society.
Graf Zahl

Return to Off-Topic