Running a company (GZDoom related and question)

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Running a company (GZDoom related and question)

Postby TheBeardedJedi » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:06 am

Hi all,

I'm running a company related to coding instruction, and I could really use a snippet of "advanced" zscript or decorate code that is kid friendly (no foul language or references to blood, bullets, etc. in it). To graf, but also anyone else who can provide it, all I need is a small detailed picture shocasing the code. I'm going to introduce people to the GZDoom engine, mainly kids, but aimed at Chex Quest to keep it kid friendly. They plan to use SLADE. I understand that written permission is needed to use someone else's code sample for a picture. Any chance? It would bring a lot of notoriety to GZDoom if it takes off, though again, mainly towards Chex Quest. I would appreciate it greatly. So, any thoughts? Is this fine to ask? I won't be using any code that isn't my own and posting it publically as if it is.
TheBeardedJedi

Re: Running a company (GZDoom related and question)

Postby Caligari87 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:26 am

I have a couple small-ish ZScript-only projects which I think might be relevant.

GZD-Metaparticles — A proof-of-concept for managing groups of particles efficiently. Not complete but functional. Could probably be improved.
DarkDoomZ — Contains examples of menu options, cvars, altering level data, event handlers, and actor manipulation, but it's all fairly straightforward.

Both are zlib-licensed so you're basically free to use them however you need.

8-)
Caligari87
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089
Github ID: caligari87

Postby TheBeardedJedi » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:50 am

Thank you. I really appreciate that. I also wanted to apologize for not being more clear. I'm specifically looking for new actor class samples written in ZScript. The darkdoom code looks great, it's just that I'm trying to avoid the word "Doom". Sorry if that sounds sensitive, but I'd rather not have them immediately read the site and say "Hey, it's coding for kids! Nice, and what's this, oh, what? What is "doom"?"

Again, I really appreciate the fast response.

Oh, and one other thing: I know about editing menus, weaponslots, starting items for a new character, damagevalues, etc. and how to create frames using sprites, whihc is specifically what I'm looking for. The best thing would be a new flemoid actor in ZScript, if that exists. I still haven't touched ZScript very much yet.
TheBeardedJedi

Postby Gez » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:10 am

Well, Chex Quest 3 is written in DECORATE. You can convert that code to ZScript relatively easily, but at the same time it won't really showcase real ZScript programming, just a bunch of object definitions.

There are a number of standalone games written for GZDoom, some of which are kid-friendly. For example, take The Forestale, it's a platformer about a bunny. However, I don't know its internals.
Gez

Return to Off-Topic