How does one fix thread thumbnails?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

How does one fix thread thumbnails?

Postby Combine_Kegan » Sun May 02, 2021 1:36 pm

So first off if this has been asked before, I apologize, I tried using the search function here and poked around to see if anyone else has discussed this. But recently I updated one of the OPs of my mods, Combined_Arms, and since then the little thumbnail of my topic has been broken. I'm a little stumped on how to fix it. I know the forum usually takes the first image you post in a thread and uses that as the thumbnail, but I've got the broken embed icon now.
This is especially confusing as the method I've used to put that first image in is exactly the same as the OP of my other mod's thread: GMOTA.

For both threads I use the [imgur] tags and use the main URL for each.
Combined_Arms:
https://imgur.com/lvGrolx

GMOTA:
https://imgur.com/ro34t2y

I'm not quite sure what's the trick to getting the thumbnails to work, I doubt it's an image size limitation, as GMOTA's OP image is far bigger, and it can't be a filesize limitation as again, GMOTA's OP image is bigger. Is it a resolution thing?

If someone could lend me a hand in figuring this out, I'd appreciate it. It's not a major thing but it sure has been bugging me for the past week.
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy

Re: How does one fix thread thumbnails?

Postby Jarewill » Sun May 02, 2021 1:43 pm

You could try using the following.... I'm unsure what they are called actually.
Code: Select allExpand view
[thumb]https://i.imgur.com/lvGrolx.png[/thumb] 

This worked for my mod threads.
The key is to use the direct image link and not the link to the imgur album.
Jarewill

Postby Combine_Kegan » Sun May 02, 2021 1:54 pm

Jarewill wrote:You could try using the following.... I'm unsure what they are called actually.
Code: Select allExpand view
[thumb]https://i.imgur.com/lvGrolx.png[/thumb] 

This worked for my mod threads.
The key is to use the direct image link and not the link to the imgur album.

I've actually tried doing that, now I have no thread OP image and the thumbnail's still busted. This is why it's so utterly baffling to me, why did it work for one topic image and not the other when it's the same method for both?
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy

Postby Kinsie » Sun May 02, 2021 11:10 pm

The [imgur] tag hates thumbnails. Use [img]. This won't be fixed because the thumbnail system is probably going to be removed at a future point.

The [thumb] tag is invisible in the thread itself, it's specifically for defining separate thumbnails.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby Combine_Kegan » Mon May 03, 2021 2:35 pm

Kinsie wrote:The [imgur] tag hates thumbnails. Use [img]. This won't be fixed because the thumbnail system is probably going to be removed at a future point.

The [thumb] tag is invisible in the thread itself, it's specifically for defining separate thumbnails.

I've tried using [img] for the OP image, and while that still renders in the thread proper, the thumbnail is still busted. Really I'd be fine with the thumbnail system being removed, seems like it's always given me trouble over the years.
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy

Postby Rachael » Mon May 03, 2021 2:41 pm

The problem with the thumbnail system is that the server does not always connect to back-end hosts reliably. For some reason the routing is all screwed up, it seems to work fine for the most part with residential and small business ISP's, but anything that's on a backbone or in a datacenter it is always iffy.

This is something that is beyond our control, since we just operate the site, we do not operate the networking backends that connect to it.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Combine_Kegan » Mon May 03, 2021 3:08 pm

Rachael wrote:The problem with the thumbnail system is that the server does not always connect to back-end hosts reliably. For some reason the routing is all screwed up, it seems to work fine for the most part with residential and small business ISP's, but anything that's on a backbone or in a datacenter it is always iffy.

This is something that is beyond our control, since we just operate the site, we do not operate the networking backends that connect to it.

Understandable. At least that explains why it's so inconsistent with stuff, that's most likely what's going with my thumbnails.
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy

Postby Combine_Kegan » Thu May 06, 2021 4:28 pm

I don't like double posting like this but I figure I should leave a small update in the off chance anyone else has the same issue I had. I fixed my issue by grabbing a direct link of my image, then specifying the image as a medium thumbnail in imgur's interface, like this:

I appreciate everyone lending advice and explanations, with any luck this thread might help someone else in the future while the thumbnail system is still a thing.
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy

Postby CherubCorps » Fri May 07, 2021 3:54 pm

Thanks for posting this. I was actually having the same issue. Fixed it right away.
CherubCorps

Discord: CherubCorp#1153
Twitch ID: www.twitch.tv/cherubcorp

Postby Kinsie » Sat May 08, 2021 9:56 am

Alternatively, use ShareX to uploaded directly to Imgur from Windows Explorer (or your clipboard, even) and get a direct link URL that works perfectly with the thumb and img tags, never having to so much as think of visiting Imgur's increasingly inhospitable landscape of a website.

I will keep screaming this through a megaphone from atop the tallest building in town until people learn or my voice gives out. Probably the latter.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Return to Off-Topic