Anyone find Doom modding hard?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: Anyone find Doom modding hard?

Postby Cyanide » Sun May 23, 2021 8:11 pm

I started mapping and modding around 6 years ago, and I found it very hard. Doors not working was the first big thing I wrestled with, and I remember thinking: "Well, if I can't get a door to work, what the hell am I even trying for?". So your example rings true with me. :)

I also had a lot of issues with my main project, and have gotten a lot of help both here and on the zdoom wiki.

My advice: Work hard at it and ask in the forum if the hard work doesn't pay off. It got me started and to where I am now.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Postby JacenXtreme » Wed May 26, 2021 10:57 am

I found mapping to be my weakest area when it comes to DOOM Modding. But that's because I'm thinking "Quantity over quality?" So, looking at the question, I can understand.

My advice for those who are new to mapmaking: Try drawing out your ideas or write them out on a piece of paper. I.E. What do you want the map to be? How do you want it to work?
JacenXtreme
Some guy on the webz

Discord: JacenXTreme#3231
Twitch ID: jacenxtreme
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby yum13241 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:01 pm

Artman2004 wrote:In the past, I've tried making simple Doom maps and DECORATE weapons, and found myself never making a finished product. In maps, I usually find that lots of things in the level don't work. Doors won't move, sectors won't rise/sink, etc. Either that or I run out of ideas of what to put next. Both outcomes lead me to give up on these maps and let them collect digital dust, or just delete them entirely. In terms of weapon mods, at best I produce a non-functioning lump of code, at worst I make absolute nothing.

Does anyone have similar issues?

I can agree. I can't even make a door that works all the time.
yum13241

Discord: yum13241#8226
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Logan MTM » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:24 pm

At Randi's age, no.
Logan MTM
I can see you...

Previous

Return to Off-Topic