Sensitivity issues with new mouse

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 48377
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Sensitivity issues with new mouse

Post by Graf Zahl »

I recently bought a new mouse but this has some annoying issues when playing games.

The sensitivity keeps changing randomly throughout the game, this happens in several games I tested, also in GZDoom. The constant switching between different sensitivities means it's virtually impossible to play with this mouse. I tried switching between RawInput and DirectInput but that does not seem to matter at all.

It cannot be the system because when I use my old mouse there's no problems.

Does anybody have an idea what may cause this and how to disable it? When using the mouse on the desktop all seems fine. It's only in games where the problem shows up.
User avatar
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead
Posts: 21519
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10, 21H1
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Sensitivity issues with new mouse

Post by wildweasel »

Potentially stupid question: does the mouse have a DPI adjustment button that you may be hitting by accident during games?
User avatar
Enjay
 
 
Posts: 26430
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:58 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Sensitivity issues with new mouse

Post by Enjay »

That's certainly a possiblity, because I had a Logitech mouse (I forget which model) where I kept doing that. My current Logitech mouse also has DPI buttons but they are in a much less likely to be hit by accident place.
User avatar
Nash
 
 
Posts: 17326
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:07 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: Sensitivity issues with new mouse

Post by Nash »

Which model/make of mouse, exactly?
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 48377
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Re: Sensitivity issues with new mouse

Post by Graf Zahl »

No DPI button. That was the first thing I checked. It is some no-name vertical left handed mouse and I installed no specific driver software. I bought it mainly for work and because I was unsure if a vertical mouse would be any useful I didn't spend too much on it. It's not the first cheap mouse I bought, but none so far exhibited any such behavior. All my previous mice had stable sensitivity.
doomwell
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:26 am
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Sensitivity issues with new mouse

Post by doomwell »

Probably just dodgy hardware. Randomly changing sensitivity doesn't sound like an intended feature so probably no way to disable that.
Working fine on the desktop does seem odd though, which is probably why you are asking in the first place...
User avatar
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead
Posts: 21519
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10, 21H1
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Sensitivity issues with new mouse

Post by wildweasel »

Graf Zahl wrote:No DPI button. That was the first thing I checked. It is some no-name vertical left handed mouse and I installed no specific driver software. I bought it mainly for work and because I was unsure if a vertical mouse would be any useful I didn't spend too much on it. It's not the first cheap mouse I bought, but none so far exhibited any such behavior. All my previous mice had stable sensitivity.
Hmm. Reading back into my own personal experience with Cheap Mice, I wonder if your problem may be that the cheap optical (or laser) sensor on it is having trouble with whatever desk surface you're using. Try it on a few different surfaces, perhaps. I couldn't explain why it'd "only" be happening in game and not anywhere else, though.
User avatar
sinisterseed
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:48 am
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Sensitivity issues with new mouse

Post by sinisterseed »

Well since this topic seems to still be alive: It came out broken from the factory most likely, if it doesn't work correctly in games at all. Games may just make it a lot more obvious, I've noticed similar things with some mice I've had, especially in games using raw input, which sometimes reveal brokenness Windows might be hiding behind its fancy enhanced pointer precision.

Speaking of surfaces, one thing I have noticed it that modern mice don't seem to play along with anything other than mouse pads, it's what prompted me to get one a few years ago as none ever seemed to want to work right when used on my wooden table, causing erratic movement and being otherwise completely unusable. Quite different from some 10yrs ago, seems new mice have gotten a lot more temperamental about such things.
User avatar
phantombeta
Posts: 2011
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 1:27 am
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Sensitivity issues with new mouse

Post by phantombeta »

sinisterseed wrote:Speaking of surfaces, one thing I have noticed it that modern mice don't seem to play along with anything other than mouse pads, it's what prompted me to get one a few years ago as none ever seemed to want to work right when used on my wooden table, causing erratic movement and being otherwise completely unusable. Quite different from some 10yrs ago, seems new mice have gotten a lot more temperamental about such things.
That's about the opposite of my experiences. Huh.
My previous mouse was a cheap one bought online, but it was considerably better than any of the ones I had before. It worked on the bumpy, messed up wood of my old desk, and it even seemed to work on glass. Same with my current one, a Logitech G502; it works perfectly fine without a mousepad, even on bumpy surfaces, and works much better than any mouse I could buy from the stores here.
User avatar
sinisterseed
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:48 am
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Sensitivity issues with new mouse

Post by sinisterseed »

phantombeta wrote:
sinisterseed wrote:Speaking of surfaces, one thing I have noticed it that modern mice don't seem to play along with anything other than mouse pads, it's what prompted me to get one a few years ago as none ever seemed to want to work right when used on my wooden table, causing erratic movement and being otherwise completely unusable. Quite different from some 10yrs ago, seems new mice have gotten a lot more temperamental about such things.
That's about the opposite of my experiences. Huh.
My previous mouse was a cheap one bought online, but it was considerably better than any of the ones I had before. It worked on the bumpy, messed up wood of my old desk, and it even seemed to work on glass. Same with my current one, a Logitech G502; it works perfectly fine without a mousepad, even on bumpy surfaces, and works much better than any mouse I could buy from the stores here.
Could say the same thing, heh.

From my experience they've become impossible to use without a pad, maybe I was just unlucky then, but I've switched between like 5 or so mice in the last couple of years. Though I can't say this is a loss for me, using a mouse with a pad feels so much better and smooth 🦊.

Return to “Off-Topic”