Unique japanese/asian/eastern games

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Unique japanese/asian/eastern games

Postby Apeirogon » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:07 pm

Can someone name eastern games with unique game concepts? By unique I mean games that exist in "single" exemplar. Like, there are no other even distantly similar games.
As an example of what I mean, Michigan: Report from Hell (you an operator in demon possessed Michigan), Disaster Report (you survivor of earthquake), Siren (aka Forbidden Siren, group of persons was sucked to local japanese branch of hell) or hell even Deadly Premonition (you a detective which investigate who have killed Laura Palmer). I cannot briefly explain what is so special about them, but if you played in one of the mentioned games I hope you got what I mean.
Apeirogon
I have a strange sense of humour

Re: Unique japanese/asian/eastern games

Postby Kinsie » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:56 am

A lot of Suda 51's titles sound like they'd be up your alley. You've already mentioned Michigan: Report From Hell, but you might also be interested in The Silver Case (and it's sequel The 25th Ward), Flower, Sun & Rain, Killer7 and the No More Heroes franchise. He's worked on a great number of other games, but these are some that he was directly involved in as opposed to being an executive producer or whatever.

Death Stranding is also quite unique, blending AAA production values with strange gameplay (on-foot parcel delivery in a dead world full of hungry ghosts) and a divisively surreal plotline. Director Hideo Kojima's previous franchise, Metal Gear, delved into strange places from a perspective of Hollywood cinema worship, but with Death Stranding he just outright lets his freak flag fly with full force.

The early CD-ROM era, particularly the Playstation 1, also has a lot of strange and outright arthouse projects from small multimedia studios, if you're willing to go waaay back. My good friend Shadsy has spilled a lot of digital ink over the years about Eastern Mind: The Lost Souls of Tong-Nou in particular. You'll likely have heard of LSD: Dream Emulator in the past.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Return to Off-Topic