Ever hit a wall?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Ever hit a wall?

Postby TheBeardedJedi » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:54 pm

Most people on this site are excellent coders/mathematicians (we have a user named ArcTangent, afterall), so I have a question:

Have you ever gotten to point where you found a skillset to be boring to you? What I mean is, you get to a high or highest level of some skill, and then because you proved you could reach that point, your entire motivation is gone to continue in it? I had a skillset (not coding) I worked on vigorously for decades. I got to the point where I reached the highest eschelons of it, then I stopped. I wasn't depressed, I wasn't sad or upset, I just felt no motivation to continue after that. I was so satisfied that I felt no reason to continue to develop it. What would be the point, if I already got to where I wanted to be? But a couple years later, there was no motivation left to do anymore with it. It felt complete. Did anyone in coding/math/whatever feel this way on this forum? Did you ever "hit a wall" with coding where you said "that's it; I'm done and I'm satisfied/bored with it"? Just curious.
TheBeardedJedi

Re: Ever hit a wall?

Postby Rachael » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:34 pm

Life is extremely tedious and boring if you don't try new things. I guess the fair answer to your question would be "yes".

I have no real specialty, but I strive for excellence in everything I do. There are many disadvantages to being a jack(or jill)-of-all-trades, but the benefits of it simply cannot be overstated.

So if you get to that point - try something new. I can repair broken operating systems, I can program, I can create textures and logos and advertisements, I can create models, I can edit video footage, and I can even voice act. And I do all of that extremely well. Nowhere near as good as the people who do any one of those specific things 24/7, but I am quite competent none-the-less.

To feed myself I am a live-in maid. For side cash I am a DJ and part-time teacher. I also have a computer security certification. That should give you some idea of just how broad a spectrum that I cover with my skills.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Ever hit a wall?

Postby Redneckerz » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:06 am

One of the things i actually regret is making music. At 16, i was heavily experimenting away. almost 1.5 decades later, i want to return but i keep pottung it off.

As Rachael mentions, another thing would be voice acting. I have some skill in this department (or so i think) but i have not put it to use or offered it around for Doomers here.

Writing is what i can do very well and i actively use it in the Doomosphere, but also at work, being employed in the Medical IT in a hospital. Documenting things is crucial to improve iteration time - and ultimately helping medical staff be treated as fast as possible, indirectly helping to save people's lives.

As a side-effect of it, you learn to use a ton of stuff well - Through the medicial field, i am now able to work around with pagers (yes, we still have those) able to assign insurance certificates, reboot accounts, change keycards and so on.
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Return to Off-Topic