Microsoft buys Zenimax Media for $7.5B

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: Microsoft buys Zenimax Media for $7.5B

Postby sinisterseed » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:19 pm

Chris wrote:
sinisterseed wrote:As for id in particular, I expect them to act just like they did before even after the acquisition, under Zenimax they've not changed much, and they offered id just enough autonomy to do whatever they wanted with no problems.

Still waiting on those Linux binaries like they did up to Doom3, or the idTech6 source releases they were in the process of doing, both of which Zenimax rebuked after id was initially bought out.

What would be incredibly ironic is if id decided to take the issue all the way up to Microsoft, who could make Zenimax relent on that restriction and allow releasing sources and Linux binaries again. Not that I realistically expect it, but I do feel Zeni/Beth are far more anti-open source and anti-Linux than Microsoft currently is.

Well considering Daggerfall went free a wile ago, I think, I fail to see how they hate opening or releasing stuff to users.

I would, however, say that they are quite a bit protective with their IPs, original or acquired.
sinisterseed
GZDoom RO Translator & Raze Tester

Twitch ID: sixhundredsixteen
Github ID: sinisterseed
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Cacodemon345 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:25 pm

sinisterseed wrote:Well considering Daggerfall went free a wile ago, I think, I fail to see how they hate opening or releasing stuff to users.

I would, however, say that they are quite a bit protective with their IPs, original or acquired.
Is Microsoft protective of their IPs on the same (or lower) level that ZeniMax used to be? That is the real question.

Chris wrote:What would be incredibly ironic is if id decided to take the issue all the way up to Microsoft, who could make Zenimax relent on that restriction and allow releasing sources and Linux binaries again. Not that I realistically expect it, but I do feel Zeni/Beth are far more anti-open source and anti-Linux than Microsoft currently is.
Well, id Software would have to do that anyway since Doom Eternal uses a lot of stuff that Microsoft owns.
Cacodemon345

Discord: Cacodemon345#9151
Github ID: Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby xenoxols » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:27 pm

My hope is that Microsoft enforces some quality control on the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. And also have one of their other studios at least write Fallout.
xenoxols

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:41 pm

I wonder if this is the beginning of the final sellout of the gaming industry. Apparently the costs have risen to levels that only the biggest players in the software industry are still able to shoulder them.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Chris » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:46 pm

sinisterseed wrote:Well considering Daggerfall went free a wile ago, I think, I fail to see how they hate opening or releasing stuff to users.

I said anti-open source and anti-Linux, not anti-free. Yeah they released Arena and Daggerfall for free, but no sources. But even those releases are far inferior to the ArenaSetup and DaggerfallSetup packages that the community had made and started distributing before being released freeware (making them technically illegal, but still far better).

While Carmack was still with id, he was trying to use his clout to allow the release of the idTech6 sources, as they had done with idTech5 before being bought out, and Zenimax refused. Carmack ended up leaving before anything could change (then they sued him, because he used some snippet of shader code super-precious proprietary IP he had developed after id was bought). When Doom 1 and 2 were released on Steam and GOG, it was the original game running under DOSBox, and there initially was a Linux version available to buy that used the Linux version of DOSBox, which Bethesda quickly pulled after realizing it was there. When Steam released Proton, Ryan "icculus" Gordon pointed out how Bethesda left Linux users to run Proton to run DOSBox to run Doom, rather than being able to use Linux DOSBox.

In contrast. Microsoft does occasionally contribute to Linux, including patches to the kernel and recently sponsoring the X.Org Developers' Conference where they had a couple developers speaking. Some Microsoft-published games are available on Linux. While it's almost certainly all self-serving, these days Microsoft seems to support Linux and open source more than Bethesda ever dreamed of. All Bethesda has ever done is not C&D OpenMW after some initial rumblings.
Chris

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:42 pm

Chris wrote:While it's almost certainly all self-serving, these days Microsoft seems to support Linux and open source more than Bethesda ever dreamed of. All Bethesda has ever done is not C&D OpenMW after some initial rumblings.

Of course it's self-serving. Working at a company with strong business relations with Microsoft I can see where they make their real money from and that's enterprise cloud solutions - which require Linux support because it is the most popular server OS after all.

There may also be the added benefit that it hurts Apple to strengthen Linux... ;)
Graf Zahl

Postby Rachael » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:11 pm

Enjay wrote:One question, however remains - what does MTX-Happy mean? I've googled MTX and many things are suggested, but none of them seemed particularly relevant (although I have now learned of the band called "The Mr. T Experience"). Could it be "micro transactions"? That wasn't suggested but, from context, it could make sense.

Microtransactions - yes.

There is a Youtube pundit who has been hammering on this endlessly. You can watch a few here. Warning: Sass and sarcasm may possibly exist in these videos, to some minor degree.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Postby leileilol » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:58 pm

The bright side is less weird zenimax legal drama (hopefully) and maybe a bit of open source / tools optimism? Microsoft owns Github, so they might know a thing or two better than Zeni on that front...

Anyone else purchasing it (Google, Epic, EA, KochDeep Silver, Tencent, Amazon, Apple) would lead to the same MTX fears this thread's already pushing...
leileilol
ダークエルフ!!!!!!!!!!

Postby wildweasel » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:32 pm

Plus, I mean, it's not like Bethesda wouldn't have put micro transactions in anyway - there's plenty of recent drama over that from before, not to mention that they're literally the progenitors of their most classic example (horse armor).
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Major Cooke » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:07 pm

Bill Gates 1995? wrote:We support Doom.

Microsoft 2020 wrote:We own Doom.

I always imagined Microsoft was going to some day acquire Doom itself after Bill Gates super-imposed himself for advertising. I gave up on that thought after a good decade or two and then today, it just came full circle and completed it.

I supported Microsoft when they bought Mojang & Minecraft, and I support them with this. Who knows. They may help be a force for stability for 'games' like Fallout 76.
Major Cooke
QZDoom Maintenance Team

Postby Gez » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:08 am

I read that Fallout 76 was, after months and months of patching, approaching the status of being an okay game, perhaps even good now. It was definitely a trainwreck at release but it has progressed a lot since. (That said it's secondhand hearsay because I have zero interest in multiplayer games.)
Gez

Postby sinisterseed » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:17 am

Gez wrote:I read that Fallout 76 was, after months and months of patching, approaching the status of being an okay game, perhaps even good now. It was definitely a trainwreck at release but it has progressed a lot since. (That said it's secondhand hearsay because I have zero interest in multiplayer games.)

Yeah, same here. It's supposedly way better now, but that can only mean the game was released two years before it cooked.

Not too dissimilar from TESO, which was also mediocre at launch but it's supposedly quite good to play now. That being said, F76 may have gotten better, but also a lot greedier, Bethesda has started suffocating it with passes, subscriptions, and of course, they broke their promise that there would only be cosmetical purchases in the future. Don't promise things you can't live up to.
sinisterseed

Postby MartinHowe » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:56 am

Now that Microsoft owns Doom, all sorts of possibilities become available :p

MartinHowe
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN

Postby Xim » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:09 am

Hopefully this will be for the best. John Carmack said he might even come back into the Doom franchise. Bethesda buying iD had more impact than I thought it was going to, maybe this will too but we'll just have to see.

sinisterseed wrote:
Gez wrote:I read that Fallout 76 was, after months and months of patching, approaching the status of being an okay game, perhaps even good now. It was definitely a trainwreck at release but it has progressed a lot since. (That said it's secondhand hearsay because I have zero interest in multiplayer games.)

Yeah, same here. It's supposedly way better now, but that can only mean the game was released two years before it cooked.

I never got into Fallout 76, but once I upgrade my PC and it goes on sale I'll probably get it now. One of my brothers is really into it and I've watched him play, it seems pretty fun. I also saw a video showing the new NPCs and the new convo-system which looks more like the one from 3/NV.

That game and Battlefront 2 were both games that started off as terrible and went on to be pretty solid games through updates. Remember back in the day when a game came out and it sucked it just sucked forever? Imagine how much better some games could be now.
Xim

Postby sinisterseed » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:44 am

Xim wrote:Hopefully this will be for the best. John Carmack said he might even come back into the Doom franchise. Bethesda buying iD had more impact than I thought it was going to, maybe this will too but we'll just have to see.

sinisterseed wrote:

That game and Battlefront 2 were both games that started off as terrible and went on to be pretty solid games through updates. Remember back in the day when a game came out and it sucked it just sucked forever? Imagine how much better some games could be now.

Perhaps, but that is still pathetic. It's basically like "games as service", which is a scam, buying a game for the promise of what the future may, or may not hold instead of what it actually is.

I can understand patching a game real hard if it had a troubled development and the people had to release something after all that nightmare, but not when it gets released because someone there (or high up there) got too impatient, that should not be acceptable, so to an extent, I'd rather have it "if it sucks real hard at launch, it shall suck forevermore."
sinisterseed

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic