Microsoft buys Zenimax Media for $7.5B

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Microsoft buys Zenimax Media for $7.5B

Postby Cacodemon345 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:05 am

Cacodemon345

Discord: Cacodemon345#9151
Github ID: Cacodemon345
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Microsoft buys Zenimax Media for $7.5B

Postby Kinsie » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:59 am

Cacodemon345 wrote:Man I wonder what happens to Doom...
All of Microsoft's past recent acquisitions have operated more or less the same as they always have without any interference, so odds are, at least in the short term, not much will change beyond the ability to dip their hands into the Scrooge McDuck money bin.

Also worth noting, from the press release:
The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions and completion of regulatory review. Microsoft expects the acquisition to close in the second half of fiscal year 2021 and to have minimal impact to non-GAAP operating income in fiscal years 2021 and 2022.
This means that the sale won't fully close until sometime between January and June next year, so don't expect to see any real changes for quite a while.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby scalliano » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:10 am

As long as Steam releases aren't affected, I can live with this. What worries me is that Microsoft are somewhat MTX-happy with their first-party titles, and DOOM Eternal has a LOT of skins...
scalliano
Socially Distant

Postby Kinsie » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:19 am

scalliano wrote:As long as Steam releases aren't affected, I can live with this.
I wouldn't be worried about this.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Postby leileilol » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:57 am

...They were only $7.5B? :???
leileilol
ダークエルフ!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Hellser » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:16 am

Truth be told, at least it was Microsoft and not another company like EA. >_>
Hellser
Remember Citadel
Global Moderator

Discord: Hellser#8156
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Cacodemon345 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:29 am

Kinsie wrote:
Cacodemon345 wrote:Man I wonder what happens to Doom...
All of Microsoft's past recent acquisitions have operated more or less the same as they always have without any interference, so odds are, at least in the short term, not much will change beyond the ability to dip their hands into the Scrooge McDuck money bin.

Also worth noting, from the press release:
The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions and completion of regulatory review. Microsoft expects the acquisition to close in the second half of fiscal year 2021 and to have minimal impact to non-GAAP operating income in fiscal years 2021 and 2022.
This means that the sale won't fully close until sometime between January and June next year, so don't expect to see any real changes for quite a while.
I believe Microsoft is planning to reallocate id Software to Halo which doesn't seem to be a great sign.
Cacodemon345

Discord: Cacodemon345#9151
Github ID: Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Kinsie » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:24 am

Cacodemon345 wrote:I believe Microsoft is planning to reallocate id Software to Halo which doesn't seem to be a great sign.
Nothing official's been said about this and Doom is sprayed front and center on all the promotional images about this acquisition, so this is probably more wishful thinking than anything.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Postby Enjay » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:59 am

In my opinion, id hasn't been id for a very long time and the latest incarnations of Doom are not what I play the game for. So, while this news is interesting simply from a game industry and business perspective, as an old and bitter Doomer, the news isn't particularly relevant to me anyway. I have my IWADs, I have my source ports and the big names in the industry have had no real influence over that situation for many, many years now.

One question, however remains - what does MTX-Happy mean? I've googled MTX and many things are suggested, but none of them seemed particularly relevant (although I have now learned of the band called "The Mr. T Experience"). Could it be "micro transactions"? That wasn't suggested but, from context, it could make sense.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby sinisterseed » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:18 pm

I'm actually one of those people who are looking forward to this collaboration, it could have been much worse if Zenimax got acquired by the villains of the industry, but with Microsoft on board, I don't think we're in for a nasty ride, and neither are they and their studios.

As for id in particular, I expect them to act just like they did before even after the acquisition, under Zenimax they've not changed much, and they offered id just enough autonomy to do whatever they wanted with no problems. And besides, please just stop if you're stuck in the past if you're one of those, nowadays id Software is not the underdog of the '90s, the company went through lots of changes over the years, it's not the same they were back then.
Last edited by sinisterseed on Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sinisterseed
GZDoom RO Translator & Raze Tester

Twitch ID: sixhundredsixteen
Github ID: sinisterseed
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Jarewill » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:33 pm

Cacodemon345 wrote:]I believe Microsoft is planning to reallocate id Software to Halo which doesn't seem to be a great sign.

I don't know.
If they fix that awful shotgun, then I'd call that a good thing. :lol:
Jarewill

Postby Enjay » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:35 pm

sinisterseed wrote:I'm actually one of those people who are looking forward to this collaborations, it could have been much worse if Zenimax got acquired by the villains of the industry, but with Microsoft on board, I don't think we're in for a nasty ride, and neither are they and their studios.

As for id in particular, I expect them to act just like they did before even after the acquisition, under Zenimax they've not changed much, and they offered id just enough autonomy to do whatever they wanted with no problems. And besides, please just stop if you're stuck in the past if you're one of those, nowadays id Software is not the underdog of the '90s, the company went through lots of changes over the years, it's not the same they were back then.

Don't get me wrong - I agree that it sounds like it is probably a decent enough deal and a reasonably positive situation for the customers too. It certainly could be a lot worse.

The thing is, it's just not that important to me or to how/what I play. Id has moved on - agreed - but I don't find what they have become to be particularly engaging at all. At least, they are no more interesting or engaging than any other big name game developer. I see no reason for brand or franchise loyalty to id/Doom and anyone whose work/art/style that I liked at id has long since moved on. I'm far more interested in seeing what CDPR does with Cyberpunk 2077 than I am about anything that id may have in the pipeline. If id does something good, then great, but it needs to stand on its own merits and simply being made by id will not be enough to gain my interest on its own.

So, the MS purchase is interesting, but of little personal relevance to me because the id products that I care about are already out there and will not be affected by this at all. That's all that I was saying.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Apeirogon » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:35 pm

I dont have Microsoft or Zenimax shares so ehhhh....what we have for dinner? Fried chicken? Again?!

The only funny thing is that now, technically, Microsoft should release "first" several games exclusively for Play Station 4/5.
Apeirogon
I have a strange sense of humour

Postby Chris » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:15 pm

sinisterseed wrote:As for id in particular, I expect them to act just like they did before even after the acquisition, under Zenimax they've not changed much, and they offered id just enough autonomy to do whatever they wanted with no problems.

Still waiting on those Linux binaries like they did up to Doom3, or the idTech6 source releases they were in the process of doing, both of which Zenimax rebuked after id was initially bought out.

What would be incredibly ironic is if id decided to take the issue all the way up to Microsoft, who could make Zenimax relent on that restriction and allow releasing sources and Linux binaries again. Not that I realistically expect it, but I do feel Zeni/Beth are far more anti-open source and anti-Linux than Microsoft currently is.
Chris

Postby sinisterseed » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:17 pm

Enjay wrote:
sinisterseed wrote:I'm actually one of those people who are looking forward to this collaborations, it could have been much worse if Zenimax got acquired by the villains of the industry, but with Microsoft on board, I don't think we're in for a nasty ride, and neither are they and their studios.

Don't get me wrong - I agree that it sounds like it is probably a decent enough deal and a reasonably positive situation for the customers too. It certainly could be a lot worse.

The thing is, it's just not that important to me or to how/what I play. Id has moved on - agreed - but I don't find what they have become to be particularly engaging at all. At least, they are no more interesting or engaging than any other big name game developer. I see no reason for brand or franchise loyalty to id/Doom and anyone whose work/art/style that I liked at id has long since moved on. I'm far more interested in seeing what CDPR does with Cyberpunk 2077 than I am about anything that id may have in the pipeline. If id does something good, then great, but it needs to stand on its own merits and simply being made by id will not be enough to gain my interest on its own.

So, the MS purchase is interesting, but of little personal relevance to me because the id products that I care about are already out there and will not be affected by this at all. That's all that I was saying.

Can't say I don't see where you're coming from, I think id has become a bit complacent over the years too, the risk-taking from the past and that creative spark doesn't quite seem to be there anymore, although the passion for making good games still is, as one can see from the new Doom games, and how passionate the developers are when talking about them, they'd have to be very good liars if this all is for face value.

Regardless, what new id has done so far hasn't interested me much either, excluding the new Doom games I've not been curious about their undertakings at all. Rage doesn't attract me, and I've not been interested in Quake since Quake 1...
sinisterseed
GZDoom RO Translator & Raze Tester

Twitch ID: sixhundredsixteen
Github ID: sinisterseed
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Next

Return to Off-Topic