Ban on twitter

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Ban on twitter

Postby Apeirogon » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:39 pm

So I got banned, I think, on twitter.
"Just create a new account" you say? Problem is, I dont even had an account in the first place. Ever. Every time I try to access twitter, site in general I mean, with any browser, it gives me error "network protocol violation, try again". But if I use any VPN it magically start working. Other more or less popular sites, like google, works fine.

So, whats going on? Is it possible to get banned on twitter by subnet? Because it looks like it is what happened. VPN is not an option because its sssssssssssssslllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, at least free.
Apeirogon
I have a strange sense of humour

Re: Ban on twitter

Postby wildweasel » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:31 pm

It's possible your ISP is just doing something wrong, protocol wise, and tunneling through a VPN fixes it because the "other end" of your VPN knows how to handle that protocol before it sends the data back to you.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Matt » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:38 pm

Congratulations, you are free! Never return to that horrible pit of vileness and hatred.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Rachael » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:47 pm

Matt wrote:Congratulations, you are free! Never return to that horrible pit of vileness and hatred.

One down, 7 billion more unfortunate souls to be freed...
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby sinisterseed » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:33 am

No, this is probably due to something wrong either with the firewall (unlikely), or your ISP since using a VPN fixes it.

But jokes or not, you shouldn't regret not being able to browse Twitter, it and its ilk are pure poison. Nothing of value was lost.
sinisterseed
GZDoom RO Translator & Raze Tester

Twitch ID: sixhundredsixteen
Github ID: sinisterseed
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Apeirogon » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:31 am

Im aware about Twitter reputation. And thats the reason why I discover this problem only now.
I want to use it to check for updates of some artists, which post recent works on twitter and only sometime on other sites.
Apeirogon
I have a strange sense of humour

Postby Dancso » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:22 am

I hate social media in general, but unfortunately some of it (especially twitter) can be really useful for networking and marketing if you're creating content or developing stuff. :(
I've been meaning to start posting on my ~5 year old account with a grand total of 2 tweets posted so far. Not eager to do it, but I do have a game coming out relatively soon, if anything I've been putting it off for too long.
Dancso
bow wow

Postby Redneckerz » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:50 am

I only have a third party twitter to send some messages to people from the community as i find its easy access to that.
The hellfire nature of Twitter is a known thing. Its very easy to join in on the DisagreementTrain and say some notchild friendly things.

The thing is, not of that hate amounts to anything. It does not elevate your own issues and all it does, with enough hammock, is hurting other people in the process, because companies are very sensitive to this kind of thing.

So yeah, Twitter. How was everyone's week? If Twitter opened with that instead...
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby wildweasel » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:39 am

Believe it or not, it IS possible to have a pleasant experience on Twitter if you're careful about making sure you're following the right people. Art accounts and pets are most of what mine is.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby NeuralStunner » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:09 am

wildweasel wrote:Believe it or not, it IS possible to have a pleasant experience on Twitter if you're careful about making sure you're following the right people. Art accounts and pets are most of what mine is.
This. I follow several developers and old hardware/software enthusiasts as well.

Like with anything else, the kind of people who push themselves to the front don't really represent everyone. Judge any community/society/etc. by its most notorious members and it's going to look horrific, this one included.
NeuralStunner
I'll Get By

Discord: NeuralStunner#1293

Postby Redneckerz » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:22 am

wildweasel wrote:Believe it or not, it IS possible to have a pleasant experience on Twitter if you're careful about making sure you're following the right people. Art accounts and pets are most of what mine is.

Nothing but agreements there. Rather expected, but the folks i visit the most with my totally-not-from-another-website account are, in fact, folks that either are active in the Doom or Quake scenes or happen to work on a fancy retro shooter that harkens back to Doom.
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Return to Off-Topic