Question for people born outside of the U.S.

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: Question for people born outside of the U.S.

Postby Rachael » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:38 pm

It's part and parcel with being easily replaceable - if you're not the most valuable employee who's dedicating all his/her time solely to the office for the good of the company, they'll swap you out with someone who will!
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:01 am

MartinHowe wrote:Good to hear these replies about working hours; I so often hear Americans talking up 'work til you drop' as if it were a sacred duty, that I assumed it was a cultural value; I hadn't realised that many of you do it only because you have to :shock:

Personally I loathe people who adhere to this "work till you drop" mentality. Fortunately here in Germany we have strict laws about working hours that are supposed to prevent this, but it can be quite aggravating if you have a superior and several colleagues who consider it good work ethics to be the first one in the office and the last one to go and then try to project this "positive" attitude on the rest of the workforce. Guess which people have the most health problems... :twisted: This is a bill even America will eventually have to pay and it's going to hurt.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby dpJudas » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:56 am

I think the world treats Americans very unfairly. Unlike their stereotypes and leaders, every single American I've met in real life has been amazingly polite, friendly and open minded to a different culture.

I think that most people react so negatively towards Americans because their understand their language and see their internal political discussions in plain sight, yet do not fully get the depth of their internal conflicts.

For example, Graf refers to the Germany withdrawal like it actually has anything to do with Germany. That was a purely internal political move. A president trying to act strong at a desperate time as Americans are evaluating if they want him for another four years.
dpJudas

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:02 am

dpJudas wrote:I think the world treats Americans very unfairly. Unlike their stereotypes and leaders, every single American I've met in real life has been amazingly polite, friendly and open minded to a different culture.

I am fairly convinced that the average American is no more selfish or feeling entitled than the average European. But as things are, the US are the third most populous country in the world and the most populous Western country. It's just the sheer numbers that make the difference here. And unfortunately the idiots in the US seem to be far better organized and politically represented than elsewhere, which also plays a big factor.

dpJudas wrote:I
I think that most people react so negatively towards Americans because their understand their language and see their internal political discussions in plain sight, yet do not fully get the depth of their internal conflicts.

I think the fact that their political system more resembles a circus is also a large factor here. Just taking a look at this year's presidential candidates makes me groan. It's the second time in a row that the choice is between bad and worse. While Trump is a disaster on all accounts, I have zero faith in Biden to really make a difference, aside from a less hostile tone.

dpJudas wrote:I
For example, Graf refers to the Germany withdrawal like it actually has anything to do with Germany. That was a purely internal political move. A president trying to act strong at a desperate time as Americans are evaluating if they want him for another four years.

Here's the irony. Trump's biggest political failure is the coronavirus pandemic. Had he taken that a bit more seriously and acted accordingly, his reelection would have been a smooth affair. Now that he totally screwed that one up he seems to aimlessly fumble around to make himself look strong but it somehow tends to come across as the total opposite.
That troop withdrawal is jusrt another in a long line of poorly thought through impulse decisions he's unable to back away from when facing political resistance.

But that wasn't my point here. What I was saying is that the German population has lost most faith in the US, in particular its troops, and that has little to do with Trump. It's only the politicians who want to keep them here. The vast majority would be glad to see them gone for good. That's how the general view of the US here is.
Graf Zahl

Postby Nems » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:55 am

Graf Zahl wrote:I think the fact that their political system more resembles a circus is also a large factor here. Just taking a look at this year's presidential candidates makes me groan. It's the second time in a row that the choice is between bad and worse. While Trump is a disaster on all accounts, I have zero faith in Biden to really make a difference, aside from a less hostile tone.

While I can't/won't speak for other Americans, this American feels the exact same way. I'll just leave it at that. :P
Nems
"small monster loops"

Postby Gez » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:28 am

Graf Zahl wrote:But that wasn't my point here. What I was saying is that the German population has lost most faith in the US, in particular its troops, and that has little to do with Trump. It's only the politicians who want to keep them here. The vast majority would be glad to see them gone for good. That's how the general view of the US here is.

Most people don't care about geopolitics.

The power hierarchy within the European union is based on economy, which puts Germany on top. However, this is because security is assured by the American hegemon. If Europe has to take charge of its own defense instead of relying on the US through NATO, then the power hierarchy will change to take military power into account, and this will change the hierarchy to put France on top -- since France is the only European country with its own independent nuclear deterrent. German politicians are happy to be the European overseer to the American hegemon, and don't want to be demoted to just a regular EU member country under French leadership.

When you look at things under this angle, a lot of things that don't seem to make sense from an internal politics angle suddenly find an explanation.
Gez

Postby dpJudas » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:41 am

Graf Zahl wrote:But as things are, the US are the third most populous country in the world and the most populous Western country. It's just the sheer numbers that make the difference here.

I think the fact that their political system more resembles a circus is also a large factor here.

I think you can get everyone agree that it is a circus. It's the history and complexity of the US that flies above the heads of most people. Seeing America as a single country is IMO a bit of a mistake. I think it is better to see it as a more evolved EU.
dpJudas

Postby axredneck » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:33 pm

My the only stereotype about Americans is that they don't care about anything that happens outside of USA
axredneck
excuse me for my bad English

Github ID: axredneck
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit

Postby Project Dark Fox » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:55 pm

axredneck wrote:My the only stereotype about Americans is that they don't care about anything that happens outside of USA

Part of it is that we don't get jack all for media coverage of what's going on outside the USA.
Project Dark Fox
Married Furry Anxiety Bucket

Twitch ID: ProjectDarkFox

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:35 pm

To be sincere? Arrogant, xenophobic, and with a terrible sense of geography due to the "USA above everything" way of teaching kids in school.
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby Redneckerz » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:31 pm

TheBeardedJedi wrote:I was always curious: what do other countries think of people from America?

Depends. So emotional story time:

I have had long lasting friends that come from it. Purely from that experience, my friend was very observant about the world, something which i enjoyed hearing about. Clever, ''not your usual kind of guy'' kind of guy. This friend, i treated like an actual friend and so did he. We wrote letters and all that. All in all, we were friends for over a decade.

Unfortunately, on one day he simply vanished from the online activity. I never got a response as to why, and only had one reply last year after i finally got a hold of him by contacting his parents. He simply told me not to do that again, that he didn't wanted to talk to me at the time and that he didn't had any reason to give regarding his sudden departure.

Not going to lie, the whole ordeal hurts to this very day. But that's life i suppose.

TheBeardedJedi wrote:What is the general consensus or even the stereotype? Are we seen as lazy, incompetent, arrogant, etc? I'm a second generation American, but I tried hard to avoid some of the "spoiled" sterotypes that go with the opinons on this country. I try to pay for everything out of pocket, avoid overspending, do math "in my head", and try to put in 57 hr workweeks. My goal is to live like the stereotypical "hardworking Asian/Indian" (many of my friends are from there; I mean no offense), but I often can't tell. What's it like living outside the U.S.? Is there a stronger sense of work ethic outside the United States? Just Curious.

Again, I mean no offense, I'm just trying to find out what it's like in other countries. Thanks!

The Americans i do have spoken to are right a clever and friendly bunch and could easily level with them. However, that is not to say that the entire population is that way. In general, i am less impressed with the perceptive ''friendlyness'' of the general American. They appear nice and friendly, but i feel its more for the cover than that they are actually nice and friendly.

On a more general scope, you obviously get into things like amendments, gun rights, the healthcare system and eventually - Politics. I am not going to comment on the matter, simply on the basis that the ZDoom Forums (rightly so) mostly keep the political discussion out of the door, barring a few remarks. Lets just say that compared to where i am from and where i live, a lot of the systems found in America leave me bamboozled in their execution.

As for our country (The Netherlands): We are the King, Queen and everything else Inbetween of Complaining. Seriously. We can bitch about dust particles not moving properly with the natural wind produced by our own movements if there was a need for it, that's how bad it is.

Other than that, stereotypes do apply: We are often seen as ''direct'' to the point of coming across as unfriendly, but this is generally not the case. We connect easily with many different nations. We love sharing a drink and having a laugh with them. We like ''experiences'', but also a society where the sky is not just a limit, but a possibility.

The last part is something i feel is very amiss, and over the years i have preferred a more calm and closing sense of living. Observing the world. Just like my US friend. In that sense, Japan is a country i do feel closer to in that regard, and not just because of the stereotypes they have.
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby axredneck » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:25 am

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:... and with a terrible sense of geography due to the "USA above everything" way of teaching kids in school.

This.
axredneck
excuse me for my bad English

Github ID: axredneck
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:03 am

Don't take me wrong. I have many friends here in the forum and outside it who come from the USA. But i am only stating the stereotype the media puts everywhere.
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby Ac!d » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:37 pm

Arrogant : maybe one of their greatest flaws (I speak only for some of them). I really want to know if they knew that the statue of the Liberty was build in France and offered by the French people, as a sign of friendship between the two nations, to celebrate the centenary of the American Declaration of Independence. (see more on Wikipedia)

Xenophobic : U.S is a giant melting pot where the ancestors of everyone are immigrants.
Ac!d
Perfection is a way, not an end. - Korean Proverb

Discord: Acid_Citric#2732

Postby Rachael » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:10 pm

Ac!d wrote:Arrogant : maybe one of their greatest flaws (I speak only for some of them). I really want to know if they knew that the statue of the Liberty was build in France and offered by the French people, as a sign of friendship between the two nations, to celebrate the centenary of the American Declaration of Independence. (see more on Wikipedia)

Most do - some don't - and some actively try to lie about it.

For what it's worth, I was taught in school about the Statue of Liberty's French origin.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic