The Last of Us?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Enjay

The Last of Us?

Post by Enjay »

I've heard that "The Last of Us" is a really good game. However, as far as I can tell, there isn't a non-emulation way to play it on the PC. Is there?
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead

Re: The Last of Us?

Post by wildweasel »

Nope - the game series is exclusive to PS3 and PS4 systems, being a Sony property.

Whether it's actually any good is evidently a matter of taste. I'm not really a big fan of "mankind is the real monster" stories, so I've given the games a miss.
Nash

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Post by Nash »

I only view TLOU games as graphically impressive - these console-style "interactive movie" games are absoutely not my thing I'm afraid.

Only thing is, TLOU games are zombie-based, so that automatically means I have an interest. :P
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

OK, interesting. Two guys at work were both raving about it "best game I've ever played" kind of comments. It seems that opinion is not as widely held as I was led to believe. It doesn't look like I'll be playing it any time soon though if it's PS3/4 exclusive.
Nash

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Post by Nash »

I'm probably just biased but I would have probably enjoyed TLOU more if they were in first person and weren't so heavily scripted. The game's writing (the first at least; the second game isn't out yet) is especially amazing though; I really enjoyed the relationship between Ellie and Joel, and the voice acting is top-notch.

But yeah, I wish the games were more, um, open-ended and not tightly scripted to the point where it just basically feels like a playable movie.
Caligari87
User Accounts Assistant
Discord: Caligari87#3089
Github ID: caligari87

Post by Caligari87 »

I have not played but I am interested to, now that I have a PS4. From what I understand it's among the "gold standard" of cinematic linear realism-adjacent 3rd-person platformers, along with Naughty Dog's other franchise, Uncharted. Whether that genrespace covers your personal taste in games is subjective of course :P but I enjoyed Uncharted well enough as a piece of semi-interactive entertainment, and TLoU seems like a slightly grittier, more grounded take on that formula.

For me the appeal is mainly the cinematic immersion factor, particularly how the melee combat looks pretty fluid and environmentally-dynamic. Sometimes interactive movies can be worthwhile, IMO, and I hear the story is pretty decent. If that's your only interest, there's cinematic cuts of the game that basically turn it into a movie.

8-)
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Enjay wrote:I've heard that "The Last of Us" is a really good game. However, as far as I can tell, there isn't a non-emulation way to play it on the PC. Is there?
There is a way to play them emulated, but they aren't native. They also require quite a lot of computing chops.

However, this may change, as several of Sony IP either closed the contracts (Quantic Dream) or are rumored to put their next game on PC (Horizon: Zero Dawn 2)

Personally i liked TLOU a lot - Narrative games like that also make them great to follow on platforms like YouTube. I guess that's a new thing, i suppose.

The story writing of TLOU is what sets it though - The relationship between Ellie and Joel is portrayed rather realistically.

This is one of my main concerns with TLOU 2 however - The PR focus seems to heavily set at current-societal events that i have no real perception in how it affects the story. If it adds to the experience realistically like TLOU 1, all for it.

If the focus is simply checking off bulletpoints to appear all-inclusive, then i think that will disappoint many people - Including those that would cheer for this if it was done well. That's the most important thing.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

The game is good. Not the best thing since sliced bread, but definitely good. Has a strong storyline, a few novel-like dramas and the scripted gameplay may interfere some small bits on some actions (say, you take on some enemies you weren't supposed to). But aside from a few things, the melee combat is fluid and tense, the survival horror atmosphere and graphics make exploration satisfying, the weapon upgrade system is good... a really good game.

My only real complaint was the replay factor. I am not an multiplayer guy, so i caught myself beating the game and... well, nothing but achievments and some fancy clothes to unlock (sorry to spoil it to you).

I'd recommend giving it a go.
Stopsignal
Discord: Stopsignal#2168

Post by Stopsignal »

I really quite liked it. Give it a go if you can! It's short and worth it, nothing really new, like, at all, but quite polished.

Also,I played the DLC on the hardest difficulty and it becomes quite different, in a way that made me enjoy it more. Can be frustrating though.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

I never felt even the slightest need to ever play it. I tried watching it on youtube and the second I realized what genre of story it is I dropped it as if it was hot. I can't stand this kind of stories and I can't stand this kind of gameplay either. It looks impressive but it's so focused on what it wants to convey that if it doesn't fit your niche it have nothing else to offer. At least the story is better than DooM Eternal.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

neoworm wrote:At least the story is better than DooM Eternal.
Is that the Doom community version of "still a better love story than Twilight"? ;)
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

My wife has recently been watching a play through by Nolan North (the voice of Nathan Drake in Uncharted, plus a baddie in this), with Troy Baker (the voice of Joel) and various guests offering commentary.

They offer some interesting insights, but be warned that Nolan isn't exactly the greatest player in the world. Check it out here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsINAKreB0

They've done a while load of other videos where the play various retro games - including Doom: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fy1yzv8gMMk (note that they waffle on for over 16 minutes before actually playing).
Last edited by NiGHTMARE on Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Troy Baker has an attractive voice. I can see why he is a successful voice actor.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Enjay wrote:
neoworm wrote:At least the story is better than DooM Eternal.
Is that the Doom community version of "still a better love story than Twilight"? ;)
My personal version of that.

Return to “Off-Topic”