About Doomguy's name...

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Ravick

About Doomguy's name...

Post by Ravick »

Hi there.

A question that came up during a conversation with a group of modders: if a mod is set at the time of Final Doom, and the 'screenwriter' decides to use a name for the protagonist, which of these options would be better?

* William Blazkowicz III
* Stan Blazkowicz
* Flynn Taggart
* DoomGuy
* Doom Slayer
* You

Thanks in advanced.

____
Off: I was taking a look at this to create a poll. I guess i don't have permission to create it. How can I ask it? :?:
PyroHeisenberg
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: About Doomguy's name...

Post by PyroHeisenberg »

Hmmmmm...

This may not be the most popular opinion, but I do like the "Stan Blazkowicz". Is very "Doom Guyish". ;)
Gez

Post by Gez »

Ravick wrote:You
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Buddy Dacote
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

How about Reaper?
Barry Burton

Post by Barry Burton »

I'd simply go with "You" or, failing that, Doomguy. It avoids confusion and won't jar with people if you decided on the 'wrong' name for peoples head canon.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Ravick wrote:* You
That one puts me in the game. The others (particularly the ones that are names rather than "titles") take me out of it and mean that I am merely a puppet-master for Taggart, Blazkowicz or whoever.

IMO:
The Blazkowicz names were utterly unnecessary and slightly awkward links to the Wolfenstein games.
Taggart was invented because it made writing the novels easier.
To me, "Doomguy" is just a convenient way to refer to the game entity (Doomguy can run at 90mph/hold 8 weapons at once etc).
Personally, I find the whole "Doom Slayer" thing cringey and crass and a "trying too hard" attempt at being cool.

The character in Doom doesn't need a name, doesn't need a title, doesn't need to say things. Not having those things allows me into the game. Having them means the game is about someone else.
Gez

Post by Gez »

If you really need a name, take one of these:
Spoiler:
:P
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Our Hero.
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

JOE.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

John Stalvern.

8-)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

No, John. You are the demons.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

Enjay wrote:
Ravick wrote:* You
That one puts me in the game. The others (particularly the ones that are names rather than "titles") take me out of it and mean that I am merely a puppet-master for Taggart, Blazkowicz or whoever.

IMO:
The Blazkowicz names were utterly unnecessary and slightly awkward links to the Wolfenstein games.
Taggart was invented because it made writing the novels easier.
To me, "Doomguy" is just a convenient way to refer to the game entity (Doomguy can run at 90mph/hold 8 weapons at once etc).
Personally, I find the whole "Doom Slayer" thing cringey and crass and a "trying too hard" attempt at being cool.

The character in Doom doesn't need a name, doesn't need a title, doesn't need to say things. Not having those things allows me into the game. Having them means the game is about someone else.
This is pretty much my view on it. I've also slowly progressed towards the camp of the whole "Doom Slayer" thing as trying too hard to be cool and edgy, especially with the story of Eternal. At the very least I didn't like the story of Eternal so I'll admit it's just personal bias/taste/whatever.
Last edited by Nems on Tue May 12, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

I personally think that for all intents and purposes, the Doom Slayer monicker fits the whole new Doom universe post-2016 (and I rather have my character name sounding like something out of a 90's Rob Liefeld comic book than the obnoxiously boring "Marine" alias adopted in D3). However, unless you're making a mod that takes place in the threads of new-Doom lore, it doesn't make sense to name the Doomguy as Slayer. In the DOS games, he was nothing more than "Our Hero", and during the walls of text the game would speak directly to the player, so "you" are the Doomguy. He doesn't really need a name, i think.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

For me, it's just as Nems said: trying too hard to be cool and edgy.

Plus, a high school ex cheerleader from Los Angeles, later Sunnydale, already has the Slayer title. :lol:

Return to “Off-Topic”