What's a game you don't play for a stupid reason?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: What's a game you don't play for a stupid reason?

Postby Redneckerz » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:25 am

Enjay wrote:(Thanks for the compliment. :) )

Even more off-topic, but i wonder how an NJDoom3 would look like today. I know, NJDoom had a ZDoom version already, but a second sequel, made in this time.

MartinHowe wrote:Dark Forces due to lack of save facility; not a stupid reason, though.

Don't try the PlayStation version of it. Whilst its an admirable thing to see such a title run on the PlayStation, it makes you appreciate PSX Doom, so, so much more. :)
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:57 am

MartinHowe wrote:Seriously, I have no interest in playing any modern games, not just Doom ones; they all require a lot of effort to mod for due to the use of 3D levels and graphics in particular and often feel just 'weird' to me.

Plus there is SO MUCH classic game content that I will never run out in the 45 years before I hit 100 and by then I probably won't care :)

Same here. I lost interest around the time of Doom 3, Quake 4 and Half-Life 2 and the rise of DRM just added to that, I'm more fond of the aesthetics of older games - up to the Quake 3 engine.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Darkcrafter » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:29 pm

Battleroyal games and CS GO for the reasons their auditory being a crowd of middleschool-age chavys that pretend to be the best people in the world :laff:

But it's my observation that the older game gets the better and more intelligent and somewhat "cold" people play it perhaps due to their age, like CS:Source, Battlefield 2,3,4. The people that seen rise and fall of their games and times that just found themselves happy with what they have.
Darkcrafter

OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby mjr4077au » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:22 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:Same here. I lost interest around the time of Doom 3, Quake 4 and Half-Life 2 and the rise of DRM just added to that, I'm more fond of the aesthetics of older games - up to the Quake 3 engine.

Surely Half-Life 2 can make the cut? It's very much a game of my time (I was 14 upon release), but I genuinely think it's one of the greats. It's probably close to my cut-off point though, similar to your cut off at Quake 3-based games.

Doom 3 was obviously of my time also, and I think it was a good game if you don't think of it as a Doom game. However in saying that, I haven't replayed it for years whereas I'm always playing the classics again and again. It never left a strong impression.

I have similar feelings about Quake in that Quake II was a good standalone game, but for me a Quake game is Quake I. I'd have loved if they revisited that universe again with its Lovecraftian theme, and would buy a new Quake I-esque game if they put one out.
mjr4077au

Discord: mjr4077au#1027
Github ID: mjr4077au

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:34 am

I never cared about HL2 because of DRM, and since nothing about that situation has changed, my attitude towards it hasn't either - especially since Valve has never offered an uncensored version to German customers. So they can kiss my ass, I won't purchase it.
Doom 3 counts as one of the biggest disappointments ever, it was so boring and annoying that at some point while getting into one particularly annoying trap I just quit and never resumed.
Quake 4 was the last game I got before the DRM mess started. It was a particularly extreme case of the 'shooter-on-a-rail' syndrome. No backtracking, no choice of actions, The doors opened in scripted order so that everything was carefully predetermined. But this time I wasn't able to finish because one of those stupid vehicle sequences broke in a way that I was unable to resume, even with cheating.
After that I lost interest in modern games, as the visuals got ever more photorealistic.
Graf Zahl

Postby mjr4077au » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:59 am

I didn't realise it was censored in Germany... that sucks! By DRM, I guess you mean Steam? I see what you're saying but I've never really taken issue with it myself. Prefer GOG where possible though. I have always wondered what would happen if Valve closed their doors, etc.

Everything else is fair enough :). Never played Quake 4 and you haven't exactly inspired me to want to haha
mjr4077au

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:20 am

DRM means any kind of copy protection that ties a piece of software to an online account. Whatever kind of product, I refuse to pay money for it. I've also never bought DRM protected music when it still was a thing and also never bought a DRM protected eBook - if available I shop at outfits that offer DRM free product or if that isn't possible just skip it. If more people acted like this DRM would never have caught on.
Graf Zahl

Postby SanyaWaffles » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:54 am

This is probably the pettiest reason on here.

I refuse to play any of the Final Fantasy games because a jerk way back in the day kept insisting I play them despite not having a capable computer or any of the consoles. And he REALLY insisted I do so and would guilt trip me for not being able to play it let alone wanting to.

I could let it go except this guy was such a bossy prude and a snob. He pretty much bossed me around constantly, to the point I was actively trying to find a way out of the friendship.

And what's worse? His snobbery extended when I told him I like boomer shooters like Doom and Quake. I suddenly was such a problematic person because gore/violence/etc.

I absolutely hate those types of people who try to take the moral highground because they play "pure clean stuff" that isn't tainted by problematic content.

Even now with remasters on the PC I refuse to touch them because it reminds me of him.

Pretty? Perhaps. Maybe I will play them sometime, but nothing is exactly motivating me.
SanyaWaffles
Certified Heretic and Grill Champion

Discord: SanyaWaffles#5095
Twitch ID: sanyawaffles

Postby mjr4077au » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:57 am

Graf Zahl wrote:DRM means any kind of copy protection that ties a piece of software to an online account. Whatever kind of product, I refuse to pay money for it. I've also never bought DRM protected music when it still was a thing and also never bought a DRM protected eBook - if available I shop at outfits that offer DRM free product or if that isn't possible just skip it. If more people acted like this DRM would never have caught on.

I'm sorry that I'm part of the problem, 14 year old Mitchy just wanted to play Half-Life 2! :shrug:.

I prefer DRM like Steam game to an older DRM where the game would install SecuROM or SafeDisc rootkits and really stuff my PC. Ideally I just wish it wasn't a thing, it doesn't really stop piracy like it was set out to do.

Considering the DRM hate, I'm surprised you use Windows and not Linux or some kind of BSD derivative. The amount of telemetry shit in Windows 10, requirements regarding activation, requiring re-activation upon hardware changes etc.

I come and go from Linux but after setting up a dual boot to do testing and bug fixing with Raze, I'm contemplating wiping the machine and just sticking with it. The source ports I play all work fine and for whatever reason, GZDoom and Raze both start/initialise shitloads quicker on Linux than they do on Windows.
mjr4077au

Postby mjr4077au » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:58 am

SanyaWaffles wrote:This is probably the pettiest reason on here.

I refuse to play any of the Final Fantasy games because a jerk way back in the day kept insisting I play them despite not having a capable computer or any of the consoles. And he REALLY insisted I do so and would guilt trip me for not being able to play it let alone wanting to.

I could let it go except this guy was such a bossy prude and a snob. He pretty much bossed me around constantly, to the point I was actively trying to find a way out of the friendship.

And what's worse? His snobbery extended when I told him I like boomer shooters like Doom and Quake. I suddenly was such a problematic person because gore/violence/etc.

I absolutely hate those types of people who try to take the moral highground because they play "pure clean stuff" that isn't tainted by problematic content.

Even now with remasters on the PC I refuse to touch them because it reminds me of him.

Pretty? Perhaps. Maybe I will play them sometime, but nothing is exactly motivating me.

That person sounds utterly toxic. I hope your life is now devoid of that individual!
mjr4077au

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:05 am

mjr4077au wrote:Considering the DRM hate, I'm surprised you use Windows and not Linux or some kind of BSD derivative. The amount of telemetry shit in Windows 10, requirements regarding activation, requiring re-activation upon hardware changes etc.

I come and go from Linux but after setting up a dual boot to do testing and bug fixing with Raze, I'm contemplating wiping the machine and just sticking with it. The source ports I play all work fine and for whatever reason, GZDoom and Raze both start/initialise shitloads quicker on Linux than they do on Windows.

Can't do much about it. Linux doesn't do what I need from a computer - too much software missing. But compared to Apple, Windows is still harmless, at least Microsoft doesn't try to boss around their users like Apple does.
If the software situation on Linux was better, I'd happily leave Windows behind, but there's far too much ideology involved in the FOSS scene that I'd consider it free of problems.
Graf Zahl

Postby mjr4077au » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:08 am

What's some key Windows software you can't do without? Agreed about the idealogy and don't care at all about it, right tool for the job always.
mjr4077au

Postby SanyaWaffles » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:24 am

mjr4077au wrote:That person sounds utterly toxic. I hope your life is now devoid of that individual!

I'm much better without him, I didn't know it at the time. I think I was young and desperate for friends so I let him bully me around. I now realize how stupid that was.
SanyaWaffles
Certified Heretic and Grill Champion

Discord: SanyaWaffles#5095
Twitch ID: sanyawaffles

Postby mjr4077au » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:36 am

SanyaWaffles wrote:
mjr4077au wrote:That person sounds utterly toxic. I hope your life is now devoid of that individual!

I'm much better without him, I didn't know it at the time. I think I was young and desperate for friends so I let him bully me around. I now realize how stupid that was.

Better late than never, and I think we've all been in that position at some point in our lives. So glad to hear that's all in the past :)
mjr4077au

Postby Darkcrafter » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:10 am

I would voice my opinion here but I'll immediately receive a ban, but in overal if this happens the same way you'll get huge problems there and then try to guess the scapegoats again. What's regarding German servers I always found them having ridiculous rules like if you have a chopper you may not fire a tv missile, while it's chopper's main function. Rules are cool but there seems to be the only nation that is overobsessed by them - Germans and let it be so except that apparently these rules are never a subject of change or discussion there? It's like just rules are there for the sake of them just being there no matter how well thought they are. When this artificial reality collapses with life the problems begin.
Darkcrafter

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic