What's a game you don't play for a stupid reason?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: What's a game you don't play for a stupid reason?

Postby Matt » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:24 pm

abbuw wrote:I am completely unable to get into System Shock 2 because the animations for the weapons and the enemies feel absurdly slow, like I'm tapping someone in the face with a wrench instead of bashing someone in the face with a wrench. Didn't have this problem in Thief or the original System Shock though.
I've always felt the same about Doom's fist...
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Tartlman » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:07 am

abbuw wrote:I am completely unable to get into System Shock 2 because the animations for the weapons and the enemies feel absurdly slow, like I'm tapping someone in the face with a wrench instead of bashing someone in the face with a wrench. Didn't have this problem in Thief or the original System Shock though.

I gotta agree with you, it took me AGES to get used to how to reliably get melee hits and even longer to hit small targets like monkeys.
Tartlman
shitposting with zscript

Discord: bogus#2947
Github ID: boogiebogus

Postby RichKiddey » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:05 am

Can`t go for lineage2 because my laptop is lagging in it lol
RichKiddey

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby NeonLights95 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:07 am

I don't play Left 4 Dead 1 or 2 and my stupid reason is that I don't have any close friends to play it with.
NeonLights95
I'm known by many names

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby sinisterseed » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:23 am

NeonLights95 wrote:I don't play Left 4 Dead 1 or 2 and my stupid reason is that I don't have any close friends to play it with.

That's not a stupid reason at all though.

Team-based competitive games are a fucking cesspit when playing with strangers. This is just one of the many reasons I don't play MP games anymore.
sinisterseed
GZDoom RO Translator & Raze Tester

Twitch ID: sixhundredsixteen
Github ID: sinisterseed

Postby BunnyWithBeans » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:18 pm

sinisterseed wrote:
NeonLights95 wrote:I don't play Left 4 Dead 1 or 2 and my stupid reason is that I don't have any close friends to play it with.

Team-based competitive games are a fucking cesspit when playing with strangers. This is just one of the many reasons I don't play MP games anymore.

This is precisely why I haven't even put an hour into Among Us. With people you know it can be great fun, but in every public lobby, the same thing always happens:

1) Someone leaves at the start of the match because they didn't get to be the Impostor (and there's no penalty for doing this other than making you wait for a few minutes before joining another lobby.)
2) Someone accuses another person of being the Impostor with exactly zero evidence.
3) People do the "if he isn't Impostor vote me out" thing pretty much every single round, which is dumb because you're basically just brute-forcing the game instead of actually doing work and finding clues to figure out who the Impostor is.
4) Someone hits the emergency meeting button and then takes 40 seconds to actually say why they just did it. It then takes an additional 30 seconds for everyone else to skip voting after realizing the person who called it was just doing it for an epic TikTok funny.

Not to mention that horribly unfunny community that only has three jokes that they repeat over and over and over and over and over.

Team Fortress 2 was the last multiplayer game I can say I really enjoyed with strangers. I feel like a huge hipster but if liking things that are good makes me a hipster then I guess I am.
BunnyWithBeans

Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby CBM » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:56 am

mjr4077au wrote:
axredneck wrote:Final Fantasy series - because of too weird storylines.

I've never played a Final Fantasy game either, never got into role-playing games myself. I should broaden my horizons though.

I am heavily in to roleplaying... but also never played any final fantasy games... because of the story... its just to damn weird... and the monsters... shokobo? really?

sinisterseed wrote:

same here... thats why Im all about singleplayer experiences these days..

however.. left 4 dead can still be fun solo as well

funny... :D

I played system shock 2 back in the day, because of its story... but I have never payed thief or the original system shock
CBM
Imp Slayer

OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)

Postby sinisterseed » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:33 am

CBM wrote:same here... thats why Im all about singleplayer experiences these days..

however.. left 4 dead can still be fun solo as well

Same for me too.

It's funny really, up until 2017 or so I used to be all for multiplayer, and if a game didn't feature any kind of online play I would often skip it, or I would buy it, but skip its solo component. However, I have ultimately lost all my interest in multiplayer of any kind after I realized just how toxic this environment had become. Cheaters, assholes, idiots who report you for anything - and I do mean just that - and too much corporate greed, which eventually resulted into too much frustration for virtually no pay off, not even an insignificant sense of gratification from winning matches.

Once the fun stopped, I stopped playing them. I used to have some folks to play with, but I felt they were gradually growing weary of me because of my low skill level and I was just doing them a disservice by playing together because I couldn't live up to their standards. These games really are fun only if you have a reliable squad/friend group to play with, otherwise it's a textbook example of an exercise in futility. "How to rage and ruin your day in three steps", basically.

So now I'm all for singleplayer, and it's just so, so much better. Less stressful, and I'm playing at my own pace, however I want to play.

As of recent, I've been having a shit ton of fun with KOTOR 2 specifically, haha Force Lightning go swoosh. Funny though, since I'm not the biggest SW fan out there, but I think what I've been longing for in this universe was something less black-and-while, without the excessive Force fluff, and without the "Jedi good, Sith bad" narrative. I only play this game as Dark Side so far, because I like the DS characters you get more, and I'm a Sith propagandist anyway :twisted: . It's just too bad some elements on the DS were visibly rushed even with TSLRCM - off the top of my head, the two biggest holes for me are: Bao-Dur being meant to travel to the HK-50 factory with HK-47, but the player plays only as HK there, and Hanharr completely disappears from the game after the attack on Citadel Station. He only appears on Malachor V if playing LS, hunting down Mira for the last time, but as DS he completely vanishes from the game, and Kreia's prediction of the future does not mention him at all either.
sinisterseed

Postby NeonLights95 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:00 am

sinisterseed wrote:

Ya know. I hardly play Multiplayer anymore. Especially in FPS games. That's a VERY good point you had there.

Here's another game I NEVER find myself playing.

(Cue the drumroll)

Doom 3. Why? Although I don't think it is as bad as everyone wants to make it out to be, it's also really awkward. I consider Doom 64: The Absolution the REAL Doom 3.
NeonLights95
I'm known by many names

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby sinisterseed » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:20 am

Ya mean Doom 64 vanilla I think, since Absolution was the Doom 64 on PC before any ports surfaced ;) .

I agree with the fact that it is the true Doom 3 as well since it's also set after the events of Final Doom, chronologically speaking. And gameplay wise it's the perfect bridge between the classic Doom gameplay and the survival horror-esque experience of Doom 3.

The problem with Doom 3 is that quite often it's just... aggressively average. It's not bad, but it's also not great either. It's an interesting clunky game, but it's sorely missing that spark that both the new games and classic Doom had. It just fails to deliver. If only the Hell section was longer I'm sure it was going to be a lot easier to forgive its shortcomings, but guess what, that's the shortest part of the game, and once it's over, surprise surprise, the game gives you MORE generic tech base maps.
sinisterseed

Previous

Return to Off-Topic