What's a game you don't play for a stupid reason?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: What's a game you don't play for a stupid reason?

Postby Kinsie » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:04 am

mjr4077au wrote:I'm sure I've read that they were considered lost, but it could very well be old or inaccurate information. The current status of the IP is just terrible and very unfortunate.
My assumption, considering all the source materials that we know still exist, is that the models still exist but were created in some obscure tool that I can't even remember the name of anymore, so lord only knows how you'd get them into a modern 3D art tool.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:10 am

it's a shame the Duke IP is in the state it's in. not only may the art assets and old builds never re-surface, but all the other Duke games on PC are removed from digital stores, not to say least the Megaton Edition. i wish i had bought it before it was taken down.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom

Postby mjr4077au » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:19 am

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:it's a shame the Duke IP is in the state it's in. not only may the art assets and old builds never re-surface, but all the other Duke games on PC are removed from digital stores, not to say least the Megaton Edition. i wish i had bought it before it was taken down.

You can get Steam keys for the Megaton Edition through some backwater sites of you're keen but be prepared for a high cost.
mjr4077au

Discord: mjr4077au#1027
Github ID: mjr4077au
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby sinisterseed » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:46 am

Graf Zahl wrote:This was just poor graphics work, not an engine problem. But this smeared indistinct look can be witnessed in virtually every sprite in Duke. The enemy sprites all show clear signs of a poor downconversion job. When scaling down to such a low resolution it will need some manual touch-up afterward to make it look good but apparently that was never done.

Indeed, some of the bad sprites look quite noisy as a result as well - see the Pig Cops mini tanks for one -, very far away from the smoothness and cleanness of Doom, despite Doom having its flaws too. This is also easily spotted if you make a map with Duke AND Doom textures in Doom, Duke's textures are so jarring in comparison.

mjr4077au wrote:
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:it's a shame the Duke IP is in the state it's in. not only may the art assets and old builds never re-surface, but all the other Duke games on PC are removed from digital stores, not to say least the Megaton Edition. i wish i had bought it before it was taken down.

You can get Steam keys for the Megaton Edition through some backwater sites of you're keen but be prepared for a high cost.

Not anymore, I don't think more real, legit keys can be obtained nowadays, too much time has passed since Megaton was taken down and the risk of getting scammed is too high now.

Shame to see what happened with Duke indeed. Blood isn't doing much better either. Jace Hall did tease something Blood related back in 2017 or so, but there's been only radio silence since then.
sinisterseed
Raze/GZDoom RO Translator & Raze Tester

Twitch ID: nixchievousfox
Github ID: sinisterseed

Postby Siorus » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:11 am

These days, any MP game that is not local Co-oP is out of my list inmediately. With time playing games has become something personal and escapist, the las thing I want is having players bouncing around. I tolerate said co-op because somehow playing with someone to my side in the same room likely for old days of nostalgia playing in the same couch, passing the controller by turns. Even better, when my friends and I all lived in the same city and we organiced small LAN games. Right now only my GF joins me once in a while, but that is all.
Siorus

Postby mjr4077au » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:48 am

lowskill. wrote:
mjr4077au wrote:

Not anymore, I don't think more real, legit keys can be obtained nowadays, too much time has passed since Megaton was taken down and the risk of getting scammed is too high now.

I did say backwater for a reason ;). G2A is selling some and I've never had issues with keys from them in the past, though the price is insane.
mjr4077au

Postby Kinsie » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:18 am

mjr4077au wrote:G2A is selling some and I've never had issues with keys from them in the past, though the price is insane.
Do not use G2A.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby sinisterseed » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:43 am

Kinsie wrote:
mjr4077au wrote:G2A is selling some and I've never had issues with keys from them in the past, though the price is insane.
Do not use G2A.

Gonna have to second this, G2A is a very bad recommendation for buying games.

This video offers some insight into why, but as a tl;dr - G2A are scumbags who allow stolen keys on their site and have no intention to ever fix the problem - they're also claiming they have no such problems -, and also to take down the keys for the games the developers have made it explicitly clear they won't want sold there, sales which earns them absolutely nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN6L8AtUV8c
sinisterseed

Postby mjr4077au » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:29 pm

Again, I did say backwater and I think in this case the origin of the keys doesn't matter since you can't buy it any other way. All I'm saying is that if you really want the Megaton Edition, there are ways to get it ☺️
mjr4077au

Postby Project Dark Fox » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:38 pm

mjr4077au wrote:Again, I did say backwater and I think in this case the origin of the keys doesn't matter since you can't buy it any other way. All I'm saying is that if you really want the Megaton Edition, there are ways to get it ☺️

Actual piracy is better than running through G2A. Most Indie devs will tell you this, and Wube (the makers of Factorio, and protagonist of the news article linked by Kinsie above) will certainly agree. Don't ever buy through G2A and read the damn article as to why.
Project Dark Fox
Married Furry Anxiety Bucket

Twitch ID: ProjectDarkFox

Postby mjr4077au » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:51 pm

Alright, let's just drop it. All I was highlighting was that there are backwater sites are selling keys should you really want the Megaton Edition, and I provided a link to such backwater site being the first in a search result showing many key providers selling Megaton Edition keys. Next time instead of backwater, I'll say "the dodgiest key resellers known to mankind".

The origin of the key, which could very well be legitimate, is of no concern anymore since the original publisher cannot sell the game. I'm aware of G2A's issues, hence why they're 'backwater' site. Arguably, some might prefer to pay G2A for a Megaton Key than give Randy Pitchford $20 for a copy of the the game that comes with less content :shrug:.
mjr4077au

Postby sinisterseed » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:32 am

mjr4077au wrote:Alright, let's just drop it. All I was highlighting was that there are backwater sites are selling keys should you really want the Megaton Edition, and I provided a link to such backwater site being the first in a search result showing many key providers selling Megaton Edition keys. Next time instead of backwater, I'll say "the dodgiest key resellers known to mankind".

The origin of the key, which could very well be legitimate, is of no concern anymore since the original publisher cannot sell the game. I'm aware of G2A's issues, hence why they're 'backwater' site. Arguably, some might prefer to pay G2A for a Megaton Key than give Randy Pitchford $20 for a copy of the the game that comes with less content :shrug:.

Nah, gonna have to disagree here as well, that way at least some of the said money goes to the developers who actually cared about the remaster, even if Randy clearly did not.

Either way you look, piracy is simply a better option than giving money to assholes like G2A, even more so since the package is no longer commercially available. I'm not attacking you BTW, just to be clear in case you get that impression by accident, I'm just discussing, that investing into G2A is one of the worst possible alternatives.
sinisterseed

Postby mjr4077au » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:42 am

lowskill. wrote:Nah, gonna have to disagree here as well, that way at least some of the said money goes to the developers who actually cared about the remaster, even if Randy clearly did not.

Either way you look, piracy is simply a better option than giving money to assholes like G2A, even more so since the package is no longer commercially available. I'm not attacking you BTW, just to be clear in case you get that impression by accident, I'm just discussing, that investing into G2A is one of the worst possible alternatives.

I don't feel attacked at all, I love a good debate and no-ones said anything that's invalid. I just want to get the thread back on topic and not sin-binned into the Halls of Unpleasentness when it doesn't have to be :). My simple comment that you "can" get a key if you want has been taken to the extreme. Next time I'll use a different reseller in such an example or just say 'fuck it, go to archive.org and hook yourself up'.
mjr4077au

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:08 am

speaking of Q2 being mentioned a while back in this topic, what's a good source port to run the game nowadays? i remember there being several to choose from, but i don't know which one is the best to use.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom

Postby mjr4077au » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:09 am

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:speaking of Q2 being mentioned a while back in this topic, what's a good source port to run the game nowadays? i remember there being several to choose from, but i don't know which one is the best to use.
Yamagi Quake II is my favourite. https://www.yamagi.org/quake2/
mjr4077au

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic