What's a game you don't play for a stupid reason?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: What's a game you don't play for a stupid reason?

Post by Matt »

everyone is being so off topic with these perfectly coherent, reasonable reasons for not playing things
SanyaWaffles
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SanyaWaffles »

@Matt you'd be surprised at how people get defensive when you mention you don't want to watch/play something because, like in my case, the toxicity of one person. I know it's not fair to judge the game on the actions of just one person, but my brain has a hard time distancing the toxicity of that one person.

I guess all of our reasons count as "stupid" reasons because we've met at least one person who has told us our reasoning is stupid. I know I have. People will get on me for not wanting to play the Final Fantasy series because of the toxicity of some people, but then get really upset when any fandoms do something toxic and then blame the whole group and the media itself.

That said, my attitude over the years towards Final Fantasy has warmed, and I do appreciate the music direction of that. I know it's cliched, but One Winged Angel is one of my favorite tracks. Maybe some day I'll give it a try.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

the multiplayer aspect of multiplayer games. i really liked playing games like Worms Armageddon, Unreal Tournament 99 and Quake 3 back then not because of the multiplayer part of those games, but because i liked playing with the AI. part of that is because i didn't have any friends to play those games with back then, and part also because i had no idea how to play online on the network (i also think i wasn't allowed to use the internet back then anyway). that mindset hasn't gone away for me nowadays, except now i don't really play those games at all, because i don't find much enjoyment in playing online with others due to things like social awkwardness and anxiety hindering my enjoyment of such things.

i guess this isn't really much of a "stupid" reason nowadays as much as it is a "why bother playing multiplayer focused games by yourself" reason, e.g. it's pretty pointless doing so. which is a shame, because those games i mentioned are fun to play, but most of that fun hinges on it being played with other people, which i don't like doing.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sinisterseed »

SanyaWaffles wrote:@Matt you'd be surprised at how people get defensive when you mention you don't want to watch/play something because, like in my case, the toxicity of one person. I know it's not fair to judge the game on the actions of just one person, but my brain has a hard time distancing the toxicity of that one person.

I guess all of our reasons count as "stupid" reasons because we've met at least one person who has told us our reasoning is stupid. I know I have. People will get on me for not wanting to play the Final Fantasy series because of the toxicity of some people, but then get really upset when any fandoms do something toxic and then blame the whole group and the media itself.

That said, my attitude over the years towards Final Fantasy has warmed, and I do appreciate the music direction of that. I know it's cliched, but One Winged Angel is one of my favorite tracks. Maybe some day I'll give it a try.
Oh yes, so very this, that's kinda why I've started slapping labels on some of the things I've listed as "dumb", notably my absolute rejection for the multiplayer scene nowadays.

I know it ain't really fair to bash the games for the people, after all it's not their fault for being flooded by idiots, isn't it, but really, a multiplayer game isn't multiplayer without other people, and when most of them are so obnoxious I want to murder the whole planet... it isn't fun or worth my time. Games are meant to be an escape from the shittiness of the mundane world, or at least to me they are, and not a collection of the worst aspects of it.
sirudoom

Post by sirudoom »

these games look cool when enhanced by ultrawide. but its like a movie, i would only watch it played on youtube. the future of gaming looks like it will be becoming a movie and you dont even play imo. i just need that new metroid prime or something to give me hope for gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQjekXHbC5A
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Doom³ because of its mimickry of the Half-life 2 "things don't react to being shot in the face" problem. Then the first imp encounter is an extremely forced "panic" moment where you're sealed into a small room, and it's immediately in unavoidable range through the Power of Cutscenes.™
I quit so hard I uninstalled it.

(I might come back to it... But now that I've played a proper modern sequel, I don't see much point.)

Yes, I'm fully aware that the game practically drowns you in medkits. That's not a solution to horrible encounter design.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Any Battle Royale games. Don't have a good reason not to play them other than I find them stupid as a concept.
Matt
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Got started on Life Is Strange this week.

At the time I'd just kinda ignored it as some point-and-click story game something something.
(It really is literally the total antithesis of the roguelikes/shooters I typically play, and is brilliant in just how far it takes that)

At first I was regretting not getting into this game back then (ignoring the delayed Linux availability for now) but looking back it occurs to me that if I'd played this thing when it was released the way one specific plot arc went combined with what I was dealing with at the time would've fucking broken me.

So yeah, glad to not have looked up anything about it until now
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Klingon Honor Guard

One would think it'd be the level design but no that friggin Kahless sprite still gets me every time even after 22 years jesus
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Matt wrote:Got started on Life Is Strange this week.

At the time I'd just kinda ignored it as some point-and-click story game something something.
(It really is literally the total antithesis of the roguelikes/shooters I typically play, and is brilliant in just how far it takes that)

At first I was regretting not getting into this game back then (ignoring the delayed Linux availability for now) but looking back it occurs to me that if I'd played this thing when it was released the way one specific plot arc went combined with what I was dealing with at the time would've fucking broken me.

So yeah, glad to not have looked up anything about it until now
LiS is very much a cinematic game where the narrative/story is the primary gameplay loop. You are supposed to connect with the characters and their struggles, which are typically teen angst issues most face.

On that note, other cinematic games like most Quantic Dream titles or The Walking Dead Telltale series are of similar nature. Its a cross between adventure and narrative gameplay - Where the gameplay is simply really limited. Its not everyone's cup of tea.

It is indeed the total opposite of roguelikes/shooters - It shouldn't be compared to it.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

leileilol wrote:Klingon Honor Guard

One would think it'd be the level design but no that friggin Kahless sprite still gets me every time even after 22 years jesus

I would love to play that one again, but it just won't work right - I cannot get the movies to work and they are so poorly implemented that the game can't be operated without them.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

I last played it through a Win98 machine where things work properly (p4 + pvr) - movies are a bit of a clumsy window switching process in the way they're hacked in. it's just the jump scares that stop me. I've never looked into any fixes for either.
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

Graf Zahl wrote:

I would love to play that one again, but it just won't work right - I cannot get the movies to work and they are so poorly implemented that the game can't be operated without them.
The ironic thing about that game is that its main programmer was the main programmer of such Capstone classics as Witchaven and TekWar.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

mjr4077au wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:

The ironic thing about that game is that its main programmer was the main programmer of such Capstone classics as Witchaven and TekWar.
Could be a bad designer/good programmer situation then :p .
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

Could very well be :). Interesting that these Capstone games are getting some love in Nuke.YKT's github. ETekWar and EWitchhaven are on the horizon lol

Return to “Off-Topic”