About M72 LAW and Panzerfaust 3.

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Ravick

About M72 LAW and Panzerfaust 3.

Post by Ravick »

Hi there.

I was reading about modern and historical anti-tank weapons, both for fun and to have some knowledge to base my mod's "bazookas" in. I got curious about a few things, and I remembered that there are many people who knows a lot about weapons here.

Most good materials are in English and I'm not a native English speaker. Also, I do not have much knowledge about weapons anyway. So, please, keep that in mind if any of my questions turn out to be actually silly thoughts.

First, in the following video, at 0:25, the soldier pulls of a retractable part of the M72 LAW:
Spoiler:
Does that thing be retractable only to make the weapon smaller when not in use? Or to protect the user's shoulder against the rocket's flames? Or are there other functions of that?
Also, I could not find videos of soldiers reloading this weapon. How is it done? Does the rocket go from behind the weapon? Or is it in front, just as a Panzerfaust?

Also, about the panzerfausts, I've read more then once that they are "disposables". The translation of this to my language would be "descartável", meaning some thing that is discarded after used once. Are panzerfausts used only once? If so, is it the whole weapon the goes into garbage? Or maybe only part of it? I've seem a panzerfausts being (re?)loaded in a video, soI got confused about this "disposable" predicate. Can it be reloaded and shoot again after being used?

As always, thanks in advance. :)
Cherno

Re: About M72 LAW and Panzerfaust 3.

Post by Cherno »

The M72 LAW is carried collapsed to make it shorter and easier to carry.
Both the Panzerfaust 3 and M72 LAw are disposable, so they can not be reloaded. The firing and sighting system of the Panzerfaust 3 is reusable, however.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Thanks!

I want to make the guns more or less realistic, and a reloadable M72 would have been a mistake then. I guess I'll stick to the RPG7 concept instead.

BTW, rocket launchers just like the ones in Half-Life and GoldenEye have some real life counterparts, or are just abstract rocket launcher concepts?
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

The Half-Life launcher is baed on an Armbrust ATW, but made reloadable and able to fire guided rockets.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Half-Life
kodi

Post by kodi »

I want to make the guns more or less realistic
One thing you might consider then is not having a fire or smoke trail on the m72 LAW, since all the propellant burns up in the tube. The Panzerfaust 3 does what the Half Life rocket launcher does, using a two-stage motor.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Ravick wrote: ...
First, in the following video, at 0:25, the soldier pulls of a retractable part of the M72 LAW:
Spoiler:
Couple of things:
1. The retractable part also cocks the weapon when it is pulled out, and acts as a safety device when collapsed. The LAW can also be manually cocked in case of a malfunction or misfire.
2. The guy in the video is not shooting a real LAW. Its a subcaliber training version that fires a smaller non explosive projectile.
3. LAWs can actually be reloaded, but in practice this is not done and IIRC is more of a thing that can only be done at the factory or possibly by a weapons tech.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

I'm no expert either but my research led me to believe that the initial versions of the Panzerfaust were single-shot disposable weapons while the Panzerfaust 60 could be "reloaded" a limited number of times.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Thank you a lot, guys! :)

Return to “Off-Topic”