Grocery Store Simulator

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Staledonut
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Grocery Store Simulator

Post by Staledonut »

So im Working on a Game idea for an Application to a School. So far ive come up with this and i would love some feedback and brainstorming of ideas and generally just turning this into a fun thread if you peeps are willing :)
this could be a Gzdoom project in the future. in other words First person.
but it could also be a top down affair or third person.

im thinking top down would be easier to make. but the immersion of a silly first person experience would possibly be better :D

Grocery Store Simulator

Story:
  • You are Sven a Buff Middle Aged Father of 2 Children.
    Your Wife is in bed sick and unable to do the nescessary shopping! Theres no food left and the Wife has written a Shoppinglist... its long... VERY Long
    You drive the Car to the store with the kids making annoying noises in your ears. angry at the situation you focus on the task ahead. its time to go Grocery Shopping!
Features:
  • Speed Scoreboard
    Random Shoppinglist
    Random Placing of Goods
    Stores of Different sizes (Small local convenience store, Medium sized Stores and The Huge Multi-level stores)
Obstacles:
  • Old People taking up the whole aisle and blocking you
    Old People that stops you to make you help them (you are a nice young man afterall)
    Your Children Reporting someone taking the last of a specific thing you need! (you hunt that person down before they leave the store and fight them for the goods!)
    Security Guards who will hunt you for a while after Fisticuffs
    Lazy Grocery workers dropping goods that slow you down (bananas for example)
Other things:
  • Shopping Cart turns slower the more groceries you collect

Suggestions:
  • Black Friday Special mode {by Valken}
    Competition mode (possibly multiplayer focused) {by Valken}
    Cameos from other games (anything spritebased) {by Valken}
    a Shopping Arch-Enemy for each episode/several maps in the "Story mode" {by Valken}
Last edited by Staledonut on Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Valken

Re: Grocery Store Simulator

Post by Valken »

Great idea. You can also a Black Friday Special mode where you have limited items to secure and ton of other shoppers to wade through. Get max points for getting one of each of the BFS items.
Staledonut

Post by Staledonut »

Valken wrote:Great idea. You can also a Black Friday Special mode where you have limited items to secure and ton of other shoppers to wade through. Get max points for getting one of each of the BFS items.
Awesome didnt think of that! :D yeah some kind of holiday shopping thing where there are alot of people around to fight for the items you need ;D
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

I really like your idea,especially as a 1st person for the GZdoom port. It would be really great! :D
Staledonut

Post by Staledonut »

grouchbag wrote:I really like your idea,especially as a 1st person for the GZdoom port. It would be really great! :D
thank you! i would probably enjoy creating this in GzDoom :P

made something in gzdoom xD

Last edited by Staledonut on Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

You're welcome! :D
Valken

Post by Valken »

Don't forget bog (toilet) paper rolls!!! It's the current trend!

You can make different maps as different shops!

Supermarket
Farmer's market (outdoor based)
Pharmacy drug store fighting for bandages and etc...
General store fighting for food and occasional big screen TV or Super Shot Gun (think S-Mart from Evil Dead movies!)
Candy store, huge a lot of sweets almost Willy Wonka style
Then a shopping mall where there multiple stores with multiple items to fight over

Lastly, holiday editions like a Christmas Toy shop where you are fighting for the last whatever toy such as that movie Jingle All the Way LOL...

Video looks awesome! Cannot wait to test this!
Staledonut

Post by Staledonut »

Valken wrote:Don't forget bog (toilet) paper rolls!!! It's the current trend!

You can make different maps as different shops!

Supermarket
Farmer's market (outdoor based)
Pharmacy drug store fighting for bandages and etc...
General store fighting for food and occasional big screen TV or Super Shot Gun (think S-Mart from Evil Dead movies!)
Candy store, huge a lot of sweets almost Willy Wonka style
Then a shopping mall where there multiple stores with multiple items to fight over

Lastly, holiday editions like a Christmas Toy shop where you are fighting for the last whatever toy such as that movie Jingle All the Way LOL...

*VIDEO*

Video looks awesome! Cannot wait to test this!
Made a Angry Sven Sprite

yeah i was thinking alot about just going for Grocery... but! different stores will give a bit more variety to the Aestetics and thats good :)
is it worth it to put in a scoring system i wonder... maybe some kind of how quickly you complete different tasks (like speedrunners do on their streams)? or go for a Story (keeping it as silly as possible ofcourse) and a kind of campaign?

im still trying to figure out some game mechanics like how fighting works. do you get locked in to a one on one? or is it possible you have to fight more then one person? do you get transported to a surreal arena of "mortal kombat"? :P

lol ive never seen jingle all the way but i LOVE the wierd Arnold stuff! like kindergarden cop is amazingly silly :D

Lol the irony of Fighting for bandages is hilarious :D

The Toilet rolls thing is good ;)

Rofl
Valken

Post by Valken »

Working from home is awesome because I can have 2 browsers opened at the same time!

That black friday video was hilarious!

Ideas - Game mode, super silly and you should have "competition" such as the Baron of Hell or Reverent competing with you for the same products you are trying to secure.

As you progress through story mode, you will have more and tougher competition up to the movie linked above.

You can do cameos from other games such as pulling in sprites from Nintendo Boxing - Mike Tyson just for laughs.

Speedrun mode - a huge ton of annoying shoppers to wade through

bratty kids running around (think evil chuckie)
soccer moms or those super loud ones that would compete and can also be rage triggered
shifty teenage klepto maniacs stealing items you need
weird Aisle guy who just looks at the product for a long time but blocks the Aisle
or old people moving very slowly as a couple...
mall cops - important for these security experts to put down any mischief and go after everyone for ruining the shopping experience.

plus supermarket staff.
Staledonut

Post by Staledonut »

Valken wrote:Working from home is awesome because I can have 2 browsers opened at the same time!

That black friday video was hilarious!

Ideas - Game mode, super silly and you should have "competition" such as the Baron of Hell or Reverent competing with you for the same products you are trying to secure.

As you progress through story mode, you will have more and tougher competition up to the movie linked above.

You can do cameos from other games such as pulling in sprites from Nintendo Boxing - Mike Tyson just for laughs.

Speedrun mode - a huge ton of annoying shoppers to wade through

bratty kids running around (think evil chuckie)
soccer moms or those super loud ones that would compete and can also be rage triggered
shifty teenage klepto maniacs stealing items you need
weird Aisle guy who just looks at the product for a long time but blocks the Aisle
or old people moving very slowly as a couple...
mall cops - important for these security experts to put down any mischief and go after everyone for ruining the shopping experience.

plus supermarket staff.
soccermom collisions and problems build rage meter for battering ram shopping cart?

i wonder if powerups that turn your Shopping cart into a battering ram could be something to wade trough the enemies in a flash :twisted:

the mall cops / security is there to stop the "fun" yes :D

the supermarket staff could be lazy and dont want to help customers! if you stumble into someone they will give you a item you need just to get rid of you xD

"weird Aisle guy who just looks at the product for a long time but blocks the Aisle" <==== this but also old people getting stuck when turning their shopping cart around >:(

Competition would be great. maybe multiplayer?
Valken

Post by Valken »

I like the shopping cart battering ram idea! You need to draw some jump animations for the civilians and maybe catch one flipping their bums into the cart itself!

Multiplayer would be incredible! Again, like that movie where you fight for the last item or black friday type competition!
Staledonut

Post by Staledonut »

Valken wrote:I like the shopping cart battering ram idea! You need to draw some jump animations for the civilians and maybe catch one flipping their bums into the cart itself!

Multiplayer would be incredible! Again, like that movie where you fight for the last item or black friday type competition!
Excuses to my terrible cartoony art! but needed to try drawing out my civilians trying to get out of the way xD

would be funny to have a revenant screaming in the front of the shopping cart like the dude i drew :wink: and a imp throwing himself to the side in panic!

Return to “Off-Topic”