E3 is dead.

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
User avatar
crazyflyingdonut
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:48 am
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)
Location: [REDACTED]

E3 is dead.

Post by crazyflyingdonut »

E3 2020 has been cancelled due to the Coronavirus. This is the first time that E3 has ever been cancelled. And honestly, E3 has been dying for a long time now. But this year's event has officially been cancelled. I don't think it'll be coming back next year. Give E3 the rest that it deserves.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Posts: 2635
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:43 pm
Discord: Hellser#8156
Operating System: Windows 11
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support
Location: Citadel Station

Re: E3 is dead.

Post by Hellser »

I think E3 will be coming back next year, there are still lots of people who are willing to go to E3 - and there are loads of people online who watches streams of announcements and talks that takes place during E3.
User avatar
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Posts: 970
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:54 am
Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: E3 is dead.

Post by Redneckerz »

crazyflyingdonut wrote:E3 2020 has been cancelled due to the Coronavirus. This is the first time that E3 has ever been cancelled.

It stands to reason that with the rapid infection rate in the US they do not want to take the risk. Given that Geoff Keighley isn't there, the 8bit organisers left, there was not much more needed to have this cancelled.
crazyflyingdonut wrote:And honestly, E3 has been dying for a long time now.

What makes you say this?

In all honesty i can see this years E3 ongoing as a livestream, as multiple other vendors have already announced as doing so. For the reporting that ill do every year, the change isn't that detrimental, but i am looking forward to see what they come up with.
Gez
 
 
Posts: 17632
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:22 pm

Re: E3 is dead.

Post by Gez »

It only makes sense to cancel conventions during a pandemic, these things are disease incubators even when there aren't health alerts.
E.g. from 2015.
User avatar
crazyflyingdonut
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:48 am
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)
Location: [REDACTED]

Re: E3 is dead.

Post by crazyflyingdonut »

Redneckerz wrote:What makes you say this?

In all honesty i can see this years E3 ongoing as a livestream, as multiple other vendors have already announced as doing so. For the reporting that ill do every year, the change isn't that detrimental, but i am looking forward to see what they come up with.


Because IIRC some companies have already made their own livestreams as replacements for their former E3 booths.
User avatar
sinisterseed
Posts: 1272
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:48 am
Github ID: sinisterseed
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: E3 is dead.

Post by sinisterseed »

Some have freed some space specifically for that, yes, but not all can do it yet.

Besides, the E3 Expo is still doing fine, so there's no reason to go away soon.
User avatar
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Posts: 970
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:54 am
Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: E3 is dead.

Post by Redneckerz »

crazyflyingdonut wrote:Because IIRC some companies have already made their own livestreams as replacements for their former E3 booths.

That does not indicate that E3 is dying, only that some companies have a replacement livestream as a limited alternative.
Apeirogon
Posts: 1590
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:57 am

Re: E3 is dead.

Post by Apeirogon »

Watch some videos from E3. There are advertised NOT ONLY "vidia gaems", but also new technologies/accessory/things related to computer entertainment industry/etc.
And also there are difference in watching stream sitting home in underpants and be there personally in first/second/third seat row.
User avatar
jdredalert
Posts: 1660
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:13 pm

Re: E3 is dead.

Post by jdredalert »

Apeirogon wrote:Watch some videos from E3. There are advertised NOT ONLY "vidia gaems", but also new technologies/accessory/things related to computer entertainment industry/etc.



So your argument that the Electronic Entertainment Expo is dying is because they are advertising electronic entertainment products?

Apeirogon wrote:And also there are difference in watching stream sitting home in underpants and be there personally in first/second/third seat row.


Dude there's a viral outbreak happening around the whole planet, nobody's taking chances. I was just informed that the hotel i'm working is going to close for God knows how much time because of the covid-19. It's only natural that they are finding safe alternative solutions to the event while still advertising stuff.
User avatar
crazyflyingdonut
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:48 am
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)
Location: [REDACTED]

Re: E3 is dead.

Post by crazyflyingdonut »

jdredalert wrote:Dude there's a viral outbreak happening around the whole planet, nobody's taking chances. I was just informed that the hotel i'm working is going to close for God knows how much time because of the covid-19. It's only natural that they are finding safe alternative solutions to the event while still advertising stuff.


Yeah, many jobs are doing similar things to what you said. Everything is closing down, people are really scared.
Rachael
Admin
Posts: 12855
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:31 pm
Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Re: E3 is dead.

Post by Rachael »

crazyflyingdonut wrote:Everything is closing down, people are really scared.

And they shouldn't be?

Sure the reality is, even if you're older, the chances that COVID-19 isn't going to affect you very seriously is really high. But it's an opportunistic lil shit, and in the unlikely (but still very serious possibility) event that it can exploit anything in your body, then you're a goner. People are right to be taking this seriously, and taking precautions. You should be, too.

There's no reason to panic or anything (the actual majority of cases are mild, and do recover), but SARS-CoV-2 has a much higher death-per-infection ratio than influenza (by a factor of at least between 5 to 10 times the flu) and certainly waaaaay higher than the seasonal cold.
User avatar
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Posts: 970
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:54 am
Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: E3 is dead.

Post by Redneckerz »

crazyflyingdonut wrote:Yeah, many jobs are doing similar things to what you said. Everything is closing down, people are really scared.

And this is where the troubles lies, whether you should be scared, concerned or nuanced.

Atleast one side-effect from what i seeing in my own country is people hamstering food, even when authorities have said that this makes no sense. The products people purchase in bulk also do very little to drive off the virus and are purely a kneejerk response to the 24/7 reporting through either news channels, talkshows, comedy shows and more. This is what being scared does and that's irrational.

Being concerned is more sensible. I would have said differently just a few weeks ago, but in the here and now, being concerned constitutes for me:
- Use your common sense. That means doing simple steps to avoid as much contact as possible.
- Better safe than sorry: If you do have a symptom, even when its not related to corona, just stay at home. Both Corona and the flu exhibit very similar initial symptoms, making detection difficult unless you run high fevers (Which is one indicator of Corona that occurs more often)
- Don't do anything drastic. Stockpiling on household items (Atleast here, i am not going to say how it should go for the US) out of fear is irrational in my eyes. You are far better off taking simple precautions than stockpiling.

Nuanced:
Goes in hand with concerned. The near endless stream of coverage by any media program causes scare amongst people. After all, if something is so important that literally every show is affected by it, then there must be grounds for fear, right? That's where people need to be nuanced. Is there cause for concern: Yes. Is this a widespreading virus? Yes. But do you need to develop kneejerks? No.

For the rest im with Rachael's post. Covid-19 should not be understated - But its worse to act irrational about it.
User avatar
crazyflyingdonut
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:48 am
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)
Location: [REDACTED]

Re: E3 is dead.

Post by crazyflyingdonut »

Rachael wrote:And they shouldn't be?


They should be scared if they don't want to die, unlike me.

Return to “Off-Topic”