Good GUI debuggers for Linux?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Good GUI debuggers for Linux?

Post by Rachael »

Are there any good GUI debuggers in Linux, like how Visual Studio is in Windows? I am a bit spoiled by Visual Studio admittedly, because it allows me to go right to the problem point in the code during a crash and instantly I already have the exact line where it crashed, the stack trace, and the relevant variables in the context, and I don't have to remember any gdb commands to have that information available to me right away.

I prefer something GTK-based but if I absolutely have to I'll use KDE.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: Good GUI debuggers for Linux?

Post by m8f »

QtCreator integrates with gdb nicely. Despite the name, QtCreator can be used not only for Qt-based application development, it works fine with any C/C++ CMake projects. CMake integration could be better, though.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

I am sure you have since this Rachael, but in the case you did not:

Deploy, run and debug your Linux Project
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

@ Redneckerz: That is not an option for me, I am debugging a GPU-intensive (ie VM's are out of the question) application on the only system that actually has Windows on it. Obviously - Windows is not running at this time, so I don't have access to Visual Studio.

@ m8f: I will have a look, thank you.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Rachael wrote:@ Redneckerz: That is not an option for me, I am debugging a GPU-intensive (ie VM's are out of the question) application on the only system that actually has Windows on it. Obviously - Windows is not running at this time, so I don't have access to Visual Studio.

@ m8f: I will have a look, thank you.
Then, to submit anything useful, ill hand over this translated Wiki cite from the Dutch Wikipedia since for some reason this bit is not on the English one, a list of IDE's that support what you might need. It also mentions M8F's QTCreator.
''IDE's like Codelite, Code::Blocks, Dev-C++, Geany, GNAT Programming Studio (GPS), KDevelop, Qt Creator, Lazarus, MonoDevelop, Eclipse, NetBeans, Xcode have support for GDB. GNU Emacs has a "GUD mode" and tools for VIM exist (like clewn). These tools provide similar functionality to devuggers build into IDE's.''
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

https://www.tecmint.com/best-linux-ide- ... e-editors/

Eclipse looks good but i only use Code::Blocks besides VS, i'm used to it and for me it gets the job done.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Thanks drfrag I'll look at those, too.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

drfrag wrote:Eclipse looks good

The words "Eclipse" and "good" aren't allowed on the same web server, let alone post.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I haven't tried it but it's popular, seems Code::Blocks is lighter tough. I only use Code::Blocks and while i'm at it Midori is a light web browser. That said i mostly use windows.
Which one do you recommend then? :)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

drfrag wrote:I haven't tried it but it's popular
Popularity doesn't mean much for quality - especially in a Unix-like environment where many of the hard core developers have really strange views - and these dominate the field.
One particular gem I found while researching the same issue was "Linux *IS* the IDE!" - it's like if you have been forced to work long enough with sub-par solutions you start to see these as world's greatest achievement.

Return to “Off-Topic”